Kenwood: Kenwood TM-V71A Mobile Radio Audio

Status
Not open for further replies.

caerickson

I have 3 Kenwood TM-71A mobiles that I use in my vehicles and base. I'm having an audio issue when receiving signals from my Motorola Quantar repeater. The signal sounds muffled on all three mobiles, but sounds fine on other portables and mobiles. Two of my mobiles have external speakers but my base uses the internal speakers. I'm in my 70s and my hearing is not what it used to be.

Does anyone have any ideas of why the audio sounds different on the Kenwood mobiles and any solutions.

Thank You

FKimble

First thought would be the radios and repeater are running different band width, i.e. narrow band versus wide band.

Frank KK4YTM

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
The internal speaker on the V71a sucks- it's almost as if it has a roll off around 2KHz. I have two V71's and notice the same thing about our Quantar analog audio coming out of the internal speaker- muffled and dull. A simple external speaker solved my issue but your external audio is poor as well?

caerickson

The internal speaker on the V71a sucks- it's almost as if it has a roll off around 2KHz. I have two V71's and notice the same thing about our Quantar analog audio coming out of the internal speaker- muffled and dull. A simple external speaker solved my issue but your external audio is poor as well?
I use external speakers on my two mobiles but the base station uses the internal speakers. The speakers on my mobiles are inexpensive speakers that may be the problem. I'm going to run some tests with a decent motorola speaker.

Thank you for your suggestion.

bharvey2

I'd agree with MTS2000des. I don't have "20-20" hearing anymore so I find external speakers are the way to go.

caerickson

Thank you for the confirmation. I will post how my tests with the Motorola speaker works out.
I connected a new Motorola mobile speaker to my TM V71A and the audio didn't improve significantly. I'm coming to the conclusion that audio quality is just inherent with the TM V71A Kenwood mobile when operating on a Quantar repeater.

Thank you for your suggestions.

cmdrwill

My Kenwood has a genuine Motorola external wooffer. WAY much better that the small internal speaker.

HSN8118 which is 8 ohms.

There is a FSN5526A that is 8 ohms and smaller, pictured here.fsn5526a.jpg.

Status
Not open for further replies.