Kenwood TM-V71A new owner

Status
Not open for further replies.

sckeith

Hello folks

I just received my TM-V71A radio and so far I like it but I was wondering.
Is it normal for the fan to turn on whenever I transmit, on low power even if I key up for a second or two.

Thank You
Steve VE4FX

fineshot1

Hello folks

I just received my TM-V71A radio and so far I like it but I was wondering.
Is it normal for the fan to turn on whenever I transmit, on low power even if I key up for a second or two.

Thank You
Steve VE4FX

yes - that is a normal operation of the radio in order to keep the heat sink cool.
otherwise the radio would over heat especially if you like to hold the key down
and jabber jaw a lot. the fan should run for a pre-determined amount of time and
then shut off if there are no further transmissions.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
The fan in many Kenwood ham radio mobiles is controlled by the PTT with an OFF delay instead of being temperature controlled. It's not the most efficient solution and it does put wear on the fan unnecessarily, but that's the way it is.

N4KVE

The fan in many Kenwood ham radio mobiles is controlled by the PTT with an OFF delay instead of being temperature controlled. It's not the most efficient solution and it does put wear on the fan unnecessarily, but that's the way it is.
Exactly the same on my Icom 2720. GARY N4KVE

LtDoc

It sounds like what you are seeing is normal and there's no ill effects from it. I'd only worry about it if it becomes really loud, which means there's some problem with the fan. That 'loud' has different meanings for different people. I don't think I've even heard the fan running on mine. Of course, it's stuck away under a seat so I wouldn't expect to hear it. I also have a '710 (same radio just a different head) within 'hearing' distance in the house. Never heard that fan either. It's detectable, sure, but that certainly doesn't mean objectionable. If heat really worries you, put the thing in the fridge. Just remember to defrost it occasionally...
- 'Doc

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9780; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.600 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

MOONBOOTS said:
Exactly the same on my Icom 2720. GARY N4KVE

Aslo the same with my FT-8800

Status
Not open for further replies.