Kenwood TM-V71A PC Interface

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueDevil

Feed Provider
I have a Kenwood TM-V71A radio with the built in EchoLink feature. I have the proper cables to interface with my PC.

I am wondering if anyone has successfully interfaced this radio with a program other than EchoLink? To further detail my question I am most curious how to make the radio TX from the PC? Can I use the built in EchoLink interface or do I need to purchase a separate interface box (i.e. RIGBlaster, SignaLink USB, etc.)?

Thanks for your help.

BlueDevil

Feed Provider
I did read that. Somewhat helpful but I am really trying to understand how the radio knows when to transmit. Does the transmit command come from the Serial/DB9 connection or when the radio detects input audio from the DIN connection?

n5ims

The DB9 connection. The software pulls one of the serial port lines high or low to indicate transmit or receive. This basically emulates the pressing of the PTT switch.

box23

The radio has two ports, an 8-pin serial port and a 6-pin mini-DIN.

The serial port can be treated as a normal serial port. ASCII commands can be issue through this port to the radio to switch channels, program channels, change other settings, and activate and deactivate the transmitter.

The 6-pin port provides Rx and Tx audio, squelch/COR/Rx active, and PTT connections to the radio.

I assume Echolink would use the 6-pin port judging by the "special" cables that page mentioned. In this case going by N5IMS's reply, the computer's DB-9 port is used as a switching port instead of for serial communication with the radio.

For using the radio with something more useful than Echolink either one of the ways I mentioned can be used for PTT activation. However, using the serial port requires some programming/scripting to create the needed functionality. It is not that difficult but may not be what you are looking for.

If going that route Rx active status can be viewed and PTT can be controlled, but physical audio connections still need to be made to the 6-pin port to provide Rx and Tx audio.

Remember, think outside the box.

Status
Not open for further replies.