Kenwood TM-V7A Detachable Faceplate

Status
Not open for further replies.

rusd

Premium Subscriber
I needing to found a detachable face plate for the Kenwood TM-V7A, I'm new to hams and came across this radio and the only thing I can tell is it needs the face plate.

McCroskey

I needing to found a detachable face plate for the Kenwood TM-V7A, I'm new to hams and came across this radio and the only thing I can tell is it needs the face plate.

Please clarify, you are looking for the front panel itself or just a front panel separation kit?

In other words, is your radio operable as is or is it missing the front panel entirely?

If you need the actual front panel (with the LCD screen, knobs, etc...), then you may be out of luck given the age of that radio. In fact, I would guess any TM-V7A's you find for sale either online or at a hamfest would include the full radio, not just that front panel.

If you just need the separation kit, then I would say a robust search on Google might yield you a kit that would work and/or instructions on how to build your own cables and remote mount. The manual for the radio would tell you the model number of the separation kit too, which would help your search.

McCroskey

Google "ARRL Hamfest Calendar," and start going to every hamfest you can manage for the next several weeks and look through the boneyards. You might get lucky. Chances are, you'll need to buy the entire radio.

KC8ESL

Premium Subscriber
This thread is borderline on age but I'll post anyways...

Rusd, is the original face plate physically damaged? If so, what are the issues?

DisasterGuy

It was answered, he needs the actual control head. With that said, I attempted to get a replacement for mine (busted knob shaft and power button) while they were still beings se and the best answer I got from Kenwood was to send the whole thing in for a $400 flat rate repair. It is still busted and stuck on packet duty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Skypilot007

Premium Subscriber
It was answered, he needs the actual control head. With that said, I attempted to get a replacement for mine (busted knob shaft and power button) while they were still beings se and the best answer I got from Kenwood was to send the whole thing in for a $400 flat rate repair. It is still busted and stuck on packet duty.

$400 for flat rate repair on a radio that costs less that $400. Are you sure that is accurate information? You could most likely buy a replacement control head for less than $200 and put it on yourself. It is very easy to attach to the radio.

KC8ESL

Premium Subscriber
For what it's worth, there are 2 kenwood parts houses that stock parts for the v7a's. I know the one is East Coast Transistor out of New York. It would be worth the money saved to turn the screwdriver a few times.

The control heads for these radios are insanely simple to deal with if you're thinking about DIY. Obviously there is a skill set needed but it really is an easier fix.

I ask again, what is the real problem with the control head? A LCD display on the fritz along with the vol/sql pots broken?

DisasterGuy

That was exactly my response to Kenwood (I may be off on the price, it was a while ago). I do remember that when I called the cost quoted was more than the current HRO price for the whole radio new. I will check out the place in NY. I am comfortable doing the repair if I can get the parts.

Hopefully the OP sees this as well.

brndnstffrd

Im not positive, but wont an RCD710 head work with that radio? It is the head to turn a tmv71a into a d710. I believe that the radios use the same protocol to communicate with the heads so it may work for the majority of functions. Even if you didnt use the built in TNC, it is a current control head that is still carried by most places and can be had for between $200 and $300.

Just as a disclaimer, I may be completely wrong as i am just going from memory, so i would wait to hear from someone who has tried this or knows a little more than i do before spending money on doing this as they may be incompatible..

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
the RC-D710 will only emulate the control head on TM-V71A and TM-D700/710A radios.

On older radios like the V7A, it ONLY supports standalone APRS operation. It will NOT replace the radios' original control head. It basically acts as a glorified packet TNC/terminal unit.

FWIW, the last time I had a V7A was about 10 years ago, and it developed the famous LCD issue. Ordered a replacement control head assembly (consisted of the entire sub panel and control knob assy) minus the housing and it was around $179 from East Coast Transistor parts.

If the O/P needs a COMPLETE control head, it might be cheaper to just go buy a TM-V71A and call it a day. I am sure if they are even available, or having to buy the LCD assembly/control unit and associated housing, knobs, etc it would probably be close to $300.

A new TM-V71A is $364.95 at HRO

KC8ESL

Premium Subscriber
The new lcd is $161.95. I have one on order at this very moment.

The v7a is/was a great radio but it sure had its share of problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.