Kenwood TMV-71A vs Yaesu FT-8800R

Status
Not open for further replies.

WatnNY

Database Admin
Database Admin
Does anyone out there know which one of these radios scans the fastest?

Kenwood TMV-71A - when you turn this radio on does it automatically start scanning on its own or do you manually have to push the buttons to make it scan.

One of the nicest radios I ever owned was the tribander by Kenwood, the TM-something-or-other that had three major problems with it - scanned slower than death, had to manually push the scan buttons after turning it on AND the optional PL boards that you pout into the radios SUCKED.

I'm hoping the TMV-71A is better. But which radio would YOU pick?

Mike

Skypilot007

Premium Subscriber
I have the TM-V71A and I like it. As far as the scan issue you mention, the 71A will resume scanning if it was scanning when powered down. It basically resumes operation in the same state it was powered down in. The scan rate could be faster, its about 10-15 channels per second. PL/DPL are standard features and the PL/DPL search feature works well and is reasonably fast at finding them. Good audio from the external speaker jack, not so good from the internal speaker.

LtDoc

The TM-V71A doesn't have the fastest scan in the world, but it's adequate for me (can't tell you the scan rate, sorry). It isn't as fast as a typical scanner. There are a couple of ways to determine how the '71 (or several radios) scans, by a time limit of each 'hit'(TOS), by the presents of a 'carrier'(COS), or it stops completely when it hits an active frequency/memory channel. Each method has it's 'pros/cons'/uses. Both 'sides' of the '71 will scan independently.
I can't say about a FT-8800R, never had one. I remember the FT-7800 being slightly faster if that helps. The scan rate just isn't a biggy for me.
- 'Doc

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
One of the nicest radios I ever owned was the tribander by Kenwood, the TM-something-or-other that had three major problems with it - scanned slower than death...
You may be referring to the TM-x41 and TM-x42 radios (x could be 6, 7, or 9). I own a TM-742 and, yes, it's scan rate is very slow. I also own two TM-D710s and a TM-V71 (both models share the same RF deck). Their scan rate is noticeably faster than the 742.

N4KVE

If you want a dual bander that scans quickly, get an Icom 2720. I own 3, & they scan faster than a full auto Mac 10. GARY N4KVE

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
If the scan speed is slow on any vhf / uhf ham rig then just simply enter all of your high priority channels x2 or more,depending on the number of memories you have available.
Say for instance if you have 1000 memories,then enter all of your hi- pri ch. 6 times or more. :wink:

n9zas

WatnNY

Database Admin
Database Admin
W9RXR,

742 that's it! That thing scanned sooo slow it was painful to watch! I have the TM-271 and I notice that it scans pretty quick, so I was hoping the TMV-71A did also, otherwise I was going to have to look into the Yaesu. Now someone mentions an Icom (thanks Moonboots) and I'll have to check that one out. Thanks for the replies folks!

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.