• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Kenwood to David Clark Headsets take 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

traingeek087

Hello Group. I need some help. Several months ago I posted about wiring a Kenwood TK780H to a set of David Clark 3800 headsets. (See Link.)I followed the instructions and used them for the first time this last weekend. I had to wait that long because I don't have another radio to test them with. Unfortunately they didn't work.

Link. - > http://forums.radioreference.com/kenwood-forum/281857-kenwood-tk-760-david-clark-headsets.html

I cannot here any radio broadcasts through the headsets, and when I press the PTT button I cannot transmit. When I turn the headsets up the speaker on the radio turns up. I know the radio works because I can hear broadcasts through the radio, unfortunately I cannot make it out because of other noise. I need it through the headsets.

Can someone help me here? I don't have anywhere I can take it close by, and its all permanently mounted. It has to be a wiring issue.

Thanks,
Traingeek087

KE5MC

Premium Subscriber
I did take a quick look at the linked thread. Having done a lot of cable construction using various brands and family of connectors I can say it easy to make a mistake about connector numbering. My impression of your post is nothing is working correctly and I am thinking more than one wiring error.

Try making a detailed schematic from headset to radio. You might discovery the error during that effort. If you already have one, double check your work.

Good Luck,
Mike

ramal121

Lots and lots of watts
Premium Subscriber
Sounds screwy to me to and I can only echo to double check the wiring hookup. As long as all six wires are used from the headset cable and go to the right spots on the KCT-19 connectors, it should just plain work (except for a possible tweek to the transmit audio from the headset).

I crossed the headset wire colors to the pins on the KCT-19 connector in the previous thread. If you need a better diagram, let me know.

traingeek087

Yes, please send me a diagram. It shouldn't be that hard but a diagram would help me.

I wired the connector up the way the diagram said, but i'm wondering, was I suppose to change anything inside the radio?

Traingeek087

Last edited:

traingeek087

Guys, thanks for the help but unfortunately it didn't fix it. I rewired it and I can hear through the headsets, but no transmitting. When I use the hand mic it makes an aweful squealing noise in the headsets too.

I should have bought a Motorola that fits the David Clark system better. Maybe I'll sell the Kenwood and save up for a Motorola. Very disappointed with the entire thing.

Stu

Status
Not open for further replies.