Kenwood: Kenwood TS-2000 no TX

Status
Not open for further replies.

WX5812

I’ve found for a great price a kenwood TS-2000. It’s in the bad filter serial number range. The RX is good but there is no transmit. Has anyone experienced what might be the issue?

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
The bad filter problem results in scratchy to inaudible audio on the RX side. I had that problem with several of my Kenwood D170's. I never experienced TX issues due to the filters, especially no transmit.

I would say check a menu setting. I picked up a Kenwood 480SAT for a very low price once. The seller probably thought the TX was dead, but it was a menu setting. Still, the 2000 may be cooked and not worth it. The other thing to consider is what is the cost. I mean if it does not transmit you have a receiver for HF/VHF/UHF. What is the great price?

When the filters finally went, I sent off an email to Kenwood first advising of my serial numbers. I received an RMA and some other stuff I think to put in the box with the radio. Just the radio, no cords, mic, etc. I paid for shipping to the repair facility and it was shipped back to me on their dime. I've had to do that for two or three radios over the last eight years. I think the turnaround was like seven days. It was quick, but I'm in the same state as one of the repair facilities.

WX5812

You are right. The radio does TX on uhf and vhf. Just no TX on the HF side. For under $300 I have a dual band allmode plus hf recieve if I can’t get it fixed

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
I'd buy it for $300 just to use it for satellite stuff. I have been told the HF side was never a stellar performer.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
No affiliation with this shop, but MTS did the work on my early serial number TS-2000 I am now the second owner of. And it looks like it's never been doctored with (no "golden screwdriver" tool marks or solder blobs). Apparently the HF PA driver went bad along with something on the main DSP board. It was sent to MTS and repaired for $275 in 2014. 6 years later, still going strong and glad I bought it. Puts out a solid signal on HF and V/U. Sounds great. Paid just over $675 for mine plus shipping.

These are unique radios and worth it to have fixed up if you intend to keep it, provided someone hasn't gotten crazy with the "golden screwdriver" inside.

WX5812

Thanks! The radio will be in on Tuesday and from what I’ve read it’s the 2sc1972 mosfet is bad. I have a tester so we will see

Status
Not open for further replies.