Kenwood: Kenwood TS 590SG radio ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

k8niv

I no they used to have a issue with the fans in this radio years back, and assume they fixed that sometime ago.....

My question is, I bought me one of these new back in June 2021, and have never heard the fans come on, I pretty much use my radio on a daily bases, sometimes it is on all day, and at times the volume is turned down, but it never has been hot or even warm on the top or any part of the covers on this radio......and I just run the radio no amplifier used with it either, so I never have heard the fans come on, therefore just guessing it isn't ran hard enough for them to be on u think ?....I'm just curious, I always like to take care of my radio stuff, thanks in advance...

Engine104

Member since 2005
It is not a great comparison, but I have only heard the fan on my TS-140 come on a few times in the over 20 years that I have owned it. I don't think that is necessarily unusual..

WA4NUF

I have a 590SG running 100 Watts. I guarantee you if you work your state's QSO party, you'll hear the fan come on quite a bit (or get in the middle of a DX station pileup)
There was a site that had the serial numbers that was affected by the reverse fans, I believe it was a UK ham site that had a lot of info. on the 590's and SG's.
I'll look to see if I can find it and post it here.
73. WA4NUF.

WA4NUF

Found the site.
Not just 590's , but the 590SG's too.
Hope this helps.
73. Gene WA4NUF.

k8niv

I don't see any info on the model I have the info just covers up to 2017 looks like..

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
That fan ( reversal ) issue was on the older radios and your 2021 should be fine. I had a 590S and I don't remember the fans coming on, or I could not hear it. Perhaps stress test it with 100W. Call CQ for hours a while on 29.6 MHz FM to stir up a contact for north or south America. If you're feeling lucky give 29.3 MHz a go for Japan. There's also 29.4 and 29.5 MHz.

Status
Not open for further replies.