• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Kenwood VHF NXDN-Capable Portable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScanFanEd

Premium Subscriber
Not sure how much of a long-shot this is, however I am hoping to purchase a professional grade portable to monitor a couple of VHF NXDN frequencies. I know there are a couple of scanners on the market that will do NXDN, however I am hoping for something that is better quality than a scanner. Would anyone be able to suggest a Kenwood VHF NXDN-capable portable that isn't horrible expensive? I am also looking for programming suggestions? Is it possible that a dealer/seller would program it for me, or possibly it is a radio that I can easily acquire the cable and software?

Thanks!

KK6ZTE

Premium Subscriber
If your goal is to monitor trunking systems, it won't work.

If your goal is just NXDN conventional (railroad) then the NX-210 is the perfect radio for you (it's what the railroads use).

ScanFanEd

Premium Subscriber
Thanks! I did fail to mention that it is a couple of conventional VHF frequencies - not trunked. I will look into the NX-210. Do you know if it is user programmable?

Thanks again!

KK6ZTE

Premium Subscriber
It's not front panel programmable, but the programming cable is easy to find (common Kenwood cable) and the software isn't to expensive. They're pretty easy to program. I'll be honest, they're a gateway radio. You'll get hooked.

They're pretty common on ebay for cheap. I would be wary of anything with a RR engraving though as it's 99.9999% stolen/lost.

Remington12G

GØT AES?
Not sure how much of a long-shot this is, however I am hoping to purchase a professional grade portable to monitor a couple of VHF NXDN frequencies. I know there are a couple of scanners on the market that will do NXDN, however I am hoping for something that is better quality than a scanner. Would anyone be able to suggest a Kenwood VHF NXDN-capable portable that isn't horrible expensive? I am also looking for programming suggestions? Is it possible that a dealer/seller would program it for me, or possibly it is a radio that I can easily acquire the cable and software?

Thanks!
I would strongly recommend buying a scanner for monitoring these VHF NXDN Frequencies, Especially if they are public safety. It's too common for a scanner enthusiast to get in trouble for having a look-alike radio as the department and be accused of stealing it. Also, I don't know of any dealer willing to program a radio for a individual who is not with that agency or department.

But an NX-1200 won't break the bank. Simple and easy, single digital model of your choice and analog. The CPS is a learning curve so If you haven't used Kenwood CPS before it will be different. The model you would want would be NX-1200NVK2 which holds 260 channels and has a screen.

Models and pricing!
NX-1200NVK2 - $295
KPG-D6NK - $78
KPG-22UM - $121

Last edited:

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Some options, depending on what your budget is:
NX-5200 VHF portable. Will do analog and any two of the following: P25, NXDN, DMR $$$
NX-3200/NX-3220 portables. Will do analog and NXDN -OR- DMR (not both at the same time) $$
NX-1200 portable. Will do analog and NXDN or DMR, you order which digital mode you want when you buy the radio, although you can change it later with a license key. $

Programming the NX-5000 and NX-3000's is NOT for the beginner. Haven't got my hands on the NX-1000 series yet, but I suspect the software is similar to the other two.

We use NX-210's at work. Our officers have had them for about 7 years and they've stood up well. KPG-111DN is the programming software.

Just make 100% sure that anything you program that you are not licensed to transmit on is set to RX only. Even if its for a department you work for, the only one who can legally add radios to the system is the licensee.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
The Icom R30 does a good job on the NXDN monitoring in my area. It isn't cheap, but the most flexible handheld receiver you can buy.

Floridarailfanning

Premium Subscriber
I've been looking into getting an NX-3220 or 3200 for monitoring the AAR channels as NXDN seems to be getting closer. I got an online quote this morning for the 14-pin VHF 3200 which was pretty good but Kenwood's LMR stuff is totally foreign to me.

If I understand correctly the software is only sold by the dealers?

Remington12G

GØT AES?
I've been looking into getting an NX-3220 or 3200 for monitoring the AAR channels as NXDN seems to be getting closer. I got an online quote this morning for the 14-pin VHF 3200 which was pretty good but Kenwood's LMR stuff is totally foreign to me.

If I understand correctly the software is only sold by the dealers?
Yes. Only Kenwood Dealers will sell you the software

Status
Not open for further replies.