• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

kenwood

Status
Not open for further replies.

HOLEBILLY

Can someone help me with information on a good kenwood with nextedge to buy to listen to our county sheriff. They just went next edge 155.490 and I think I will go with a nextedge radio and not a discrimator tap. Thank you for your help.

SCPD

QRT
I have a icom f3161 ds it's pretty good and I like it. I got it in event if a business or railroad went nxdn/idas. It's small light has nice display and the software isn't too bad I bought the latest for pretty good price. Make sure the radio you look at says its nxdn ready or capable ready. Thr software also has a read protect to prevent anyone from reading radio just make sure you save the codeplug new before edit then another with finished data without read protection. I got mine used. Was a luck of moment thing basically new at a meet. The seller went to a larger model radio. Overall I like it. Just make sure before you buy one or a nxdn radio they aren't using the security encryption feature or it would be useless to hear them.

And mine is a icom not a kenwood

Last edited by a moderator:

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Can someone help me with information on a good kenwood with nextedge to buy to listen to our county sheriff. They just went next edge 155.490 and I think I will go with a nextedge radio and not a discrimator tap. Thank you for your help.

More info needed.
NexEdge radio on VHF, got it.

Mobile or Portable?
How many channels?
What kind of display?
Do you need trunking?

Portable:
NX-210 would be the higher end VHF portable.
NX-200 is a smaller version of the NX-210.
NX-220, basic hand held.
NX-240, no trunking, no display, 6.25KHz digital and analog.

Mobile:
NX-700 would be the high end VHF mobile.
NX-720 Internal GPS, less channel capacity.
NX-740 no trunking, limited display, 6.25KHz digital and analog.

racingfan360

HOLEBILLY,

As pointed out above, your investment will be useless if the county sheriff has switched encryption on. If you don't know for sure it's in the clear, I'd recommend have a go with a scanner/dongle and DSD+ software. If that works ok then have a look for a dedicated transceiver. A dongle is about $10-$20, the software is free.

Jim

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9900; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.1047 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

You also need to know if it is 12.5KHz or 6.25KHz NXDN as one company only does 6.25KHz, and I can not remember off the top of my head whether it is Kenwood or Icom that only does 6.25KHz NXDN

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9900; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.1047 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

mmckenna said:
Icom does 6.25KHz NXDN only. Kenwood does 12.5KHz and 6.25KHz.

Thank you for that sir! I could not remember!

Status
Not open for further replies.