Kenwood: KES-5, Good Quality 3.5mm connector?

Status
Not open for further replies.

W6BAR

Hello everyone!

I purchased a KES-5 Kenwood speaker for use in a mobile setup with a V71A. Of course, I completely forgot a 3.5mm connector was needed. Would anyone have a trusted source for connectors I can use? Perhaps even Made in the USA? Google has not been a huge help/ my search skills definitely lack.

73s

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
If you have a musical instrument store in your area, see if they have connectors. Used to be that you could purchase the parts to repair audio cables at those shops. Finding a good 1/8 connector shouldn't be a problem.

If you are going to order online, Switchcraft is a good brand.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Switchcraft is good, but they have always been very proud of their stuff and my experience with their 1/4" phone connectors has been mixed, though better than Radio Shack back in the day.

About the best apparent quality and lowest price and in-stock I could find on Mouser's website was an Amphenol brand plug for $3.33 each:

Neutrik is another good brand of audio connectors. Mouser sells their REAN brand which may be cheap crap that Neutrik is too proud to put their own name on.

I poked around on the Sweetwater and Guitar Center websites and didn't find any loose 1/8" plugs. Maybe I missed them. Guitar Center has 300 stores and you can find one in just about every major city.

ramal121

Lots and lots of watts
Premium Subscriber
You can search Amazon. Just about any plug will work. I like all metal plugs:

But if you are all thumbs when it comes to soldering you can get the screw terminal type:

W6BAR

Awesome. Thanks for the responses all, between all of those I'm sure I'll be able to figure it out!

ladn

Explorer of the Frequency Spectrum
Premium Subscriber
Southern California and sometimes Owens Valley
Rather than buy just a connector, why not get a quality cable with connector already attached? Maybe a 1/8" extension cable. Cut off the female end and install it in place of the cable on the speaker. Personally, I'd rather open up a speaker and solder wires to big connectors inside a speaker, than solder wires to tiny connectors on a plug.

Status
Not open for further replies.