• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

KG-UV8D won't receive - Broken or simple fix?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeSD

I have a ton of these Chinese radios. Boefeng, Wouxun, etc. In fact, I have 2 of each. ;)

So, today I realized I had only 1 of the Wouxun KG-UV8D (black button version). I decided I would pair it up with a 2nd radio. Bought one and when I got it, it had the green buttons. No biggie I guess. Also had the narrower band than my original.

But my problem is, it won't receive on any frequency. I can transmit just fine. I tried it on repeater and simplex modes. No receive at all.

Either I have a DOA unit, or there is some simple fix I haven't heard about, that might cause it not to receive.

Broken or easy fix?

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
Receive problems

Try a speaker mike or earphone to see if it is the speaker or a circuit board problem. If you can find the right size, a speaker should not be too hard to replace. If it is a circuit problem, repair on a printed circuit is very likely to far exceed the cost of a new radio.

MikeSD

No, it's not receiving. Its not that there is no sound. There is no reception at all.

The receive light doesn't come on and the received signal strength indicator on the LCD doesn't show received signal.

Hans13

You probably already did this, but, did you try a known good antenna? (i.e. Swap antennas.)

MikeSD

It's not the antenna. I could have no antenna or a paperclip and it would still register a signal indication.

The radio is either completely defective on receive, or there is some funky setting that can cause it to appear not to receive. That us why I tested with vfo on simplex. No apparent receive.

I'm thinking dead unit. It's going back today.

MikeSD

I also noticed this is a radio that only goes to about 480MHz. I want to expand it to the full 519 upper limit.

What is the preferred way of doing that?
What is the preferred S/W for programming this radio?
Is this this the best s/w for programming this radio

I ask these, having one already. But the one I have was purchased already designed to work to 512. This model is slightly different and I don't know what current s/w is best for this version radio.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Get a radio that actually goes up that far?

Even if you can hack the radio to go outside the design limits, it's probably not going to work that well on transmit or receive.

MikeSD

Get a radio that actually goes up that far?

Even if you can hack the radio to go outside the design limits, it's probably not going to work that well on transmit or receive.

It's not a problem. I only need to go slightly out of bounds. Actually, I just checked and I really don't have to go out of band at all, except one channel. It won't be an issue at all. I've done this on other radios and they work just fine. And no, I haven't done it yet to the subject radio that's not working. Never even got that far, before noticing it wouldn't receive.

I may just keep it stock and not change it at all, since I really don't need that one channel that badly. Just means having two different programming files. No biggie. Probably better to have two programming files anyway, since the radios are technically slightly different.

My replacement is arriving today.

Last edited:

Hans13

It's not the antenna. I could have no antenna or a paperclip and it would still register a signal indication.

I once had a transmitter with an antenna short that wouldn't receive a thing but somehow managed to leak rf (from the body??) enough to transmit to a nearby receiver. Surley it was a freak thing, only once in 35 years, but since you have multiple antennas handy, it would've been worth my time at least.

Over the decades I have been troubleshooting things, the simple, easy things to quickly rule out are worth the time. This has held true over all of my career fields. In each I was considered a fixer of difficult and impossible problems.

If you have factory reset it, properly programmed a test frequency, and it still does it, I would send it back.

Good luck with it.

Last edited:

MikeSD

Was broken. Sent it back. Got the new one yesterday. Works fine now.

Status
Not open for further replies.