KHON - Police encrypt radio chatter cutting off public access to communications, raising concerns about transparency

Status
Not open for further replies.

fuhwurd

Make R34s Legal Again
Sorry, everyone, I had just realized that District 2 RTO dispatch announced the transition as well

himages

the mayor should realize where his former job was....managing a television station (media???). This may sound cruel to hobbyists but due to the nature of legitimate media, whether it be TV or newspaper, they SHOULD be issued P25 radios (receive only) that will monitor EMT, Fire, HPD, State Sheriffs, Lifeguards, etc. they should not be shut out.....they have a job to do also!

Mmiyaki

Didn't they have issues when switching to EDACS and would have to go back to analog from time to time? One could hope history repeats itself lol.

himages

I wonder should we be getting a petition together to protest the encryption.
I dont think so....reason, the city probably spend $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ in taxpayers $$$$$$$$$$ to upgrade at this point. who knows, maybe they raided another gambling house (in kalihi???) and confiscated a SDS100 or 200.....fyi, before encryption happened, with the right settings....you still could hear HPD.....someone may have told them how to scan the SSD or Vice Division.

himages

going to start seeing a lot of sds100s and 200s going on the classified section because of this. it has been "pretty quiet" on mines.
you know guys.....there must have had media resolve the issue with "no scanners or radios" to do with the news. Reason: how come the media responded (Star Adv, HNN, Ch2, Kitv) to the suicide-homicide in Wailua? or a bldg fire in Waipahu? they must have come to an understanding but will NOT disclose their talks to the public.

Omega-TI

Ω
Premium Subscriber
My question is, where are all these communities coming up with all this money to transition to encrypted systems? Are the Feds pulling the strings by supplying funding? I can understand encryption under certain circumstances like martial law, a riot or sensitive communications like personal information on abuse victims, an active drug raid and the like, but that could be done on an encrypted tactical channel. In a free and open society, dispatch should remain in the clear.

Status
Not open for further replies.