KHP Chargers

Status
Not open for further replies.

datainmotion

Premium Subscriber
I thought there was a thread about these here, but it must have been another section. Anyway, here's some pics from the Dodge Rep we work with...

Last edited:

NBW791

http://www.ksnt.com/news/local/3342586.html

charger.jpg

Dodge Chargers An Option For The Kansas Highway Patrol
Nate Hill

For the past several years the Kansas Highway Patrol has used the Ford Crown Victoria as it's patrol car, but now there's a new kid on the block.

Now, the Dodge Charger is becoming an option for the Highway Patrol. Mark Engholm has been driving his Dodge Charger for about a month now, and so far, he likes what he sees. “This car is my office, I spend 8 hours a day, dependable, enough power, safely where we go.”

It’s one of 15 the Kansas Highway Patrol is testing across the state. “Just looking at different options we want to have the best car for Kansans, since these are now on the market, we'll give these a try.”

Engholm isn't holding back either, he's been told to break it in and not baby it.

“The acceleration gets to a violator much faster, four miles, get them stopped in two miles, not just to us, but the public.”

The Charger also saves on gas. It’s an eight cylinder, but automatically drops down to four when the car is cruising. However, Engholm might have a hard time getting on the road with all the attention his car is attracting. “The public, talk about the car, we can break the ice with the public, makes us more approachable.”

And if you're breaking the law, this car will approach you a lot faster. In the past, the Kansas Highway Patrol has also tested out Cameros and Mustangs.

rick521

Question

Was close to the interstate a couple of days ago and responded to an accident. One of the new chargers was also at this accident. Was wondering why the wiring for the light bar runs on the outside of the car from the light bar, down the roof on the passengers side and into the trunk?

Grog

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
rick521 said:
Was close to the interstate a couple of days ago and responded to an accident. One of the new chargers was also at this accident. Was wondering why the wiring for the light bar runs on the outside of the car from the light bar, down the roof on the passengers side and into the trunk?

Maybe to not drill into the car, for resale? Could just be a temporary lighting system?

NBW791

Resale value. That's how they do the Crown Vics too. Since they're traded out at 49,500 miles, they aren't driven that long, so they want to avoid holes in the roof. Doesn't look that clean, but it's not that bad I guess.

-Nick-

red8

I HOPE THEY DO NOT HAVE THE WITH THE REAR DOORS, LIKE THE STATE POLICE IN LOUISIANA ARE HAVING WITH THEIR CHEVY
WIMPALA'S!
red8

red8

I SURE HOPE THE CHARGERS DO NOT HAVE PROBLEMS WITH THE
REAR DOORS SECURING THE PRISONER IN THE BACK SEAT, LIKE
THE LOUISIANA TROOPERS ARE HAVING WITH THEIR IMPALA'S
red8

Grog

Banned
NBW791 said:
Resale value. That's how they do the Crown Vics too. Since they're traded out at 49,500 miles, they aren't driven that long, so they want to avoid holes in the roof. Doesn't look that clean, but it's not that bad I guess.

-Nick-

49,500? It muct be nice to burn up that much money so they can drive new cars all the time.

precoislen

Grog said:
Maybe to not drill into the car, for resale? Could just be a temporary lighting system?

Or maybe the car has a curtian airbag system. I haven't seen the upfitters manual for these cars yet, so maybe the installer didn't know how to drill into the roof and avoid the airbag system.

Not in Kansas personally myself, so I am not sure, but that thought popped into my mind.

NBW791

It is nice to trade in at 49,500. They found the car program is very successful doing it that way because they get good resale for the cars.

As for rear door issues, we transport in the front seat.

-Nick-

KAA951

Premium Subscriber
Grog said:
49,500? It muct be nice to burn up that much money so they can drive new cars all the time.

Truth be told Kansas almost makes money on the deal- the legislature has raided the car program fund every year because it has been in the green at the end of the year (by millions of dollars).

The fact is they turn them over at 49,500 to save money. There were several studies done in the 1990's about the program and they found it was a cost savings for Kansas to do this (Missouri HP has the same program in place).

Think about it- most of the time the Patrol runs them they are under warranty- they are on the road more because they don't break down all the time- selling them at under 50,000 miles increases resale value (as well as modifying and drilling holes in them as little as possible). Last I heard they were buying cars at around 21,000 and selling them at around 18,000 or so a year later- not a bad system overall.

NBW791

I talked to a MO trooper in March who said they're keeping their cars to 69,500 now due to budget constraints.

-Nick-

bigbluemsp

NBW791 said:
I talked to a MO trooper in March who said they're keeping their cars to 69,500 now due to budget constraints.

-Nick-

I think Nick ought to put in for a Charger for his next car. lol

NOT.

Stick with the Vic bro

WX5JCH

Banned
Hmm, I checked with our local trooper, he has 168,000 miles on his vehicle. No outlook for a new unit in the near future.

Status
Not open for further replies.