KHP Conventional

Status
Not open for further replies.

ehssooner14

I've been hearing that some of the KHP still operates on conventional channels. I was under the impression that they all went digital. How much if any of KHP operates on conventional frequencies and is it even worth programming them into my scanner?

kskarma

KHP Freqs..

I can say for sure that the KHP that operates in the Topeka area uses the Topeka/Shawnee Co. trunking system. I don't know if they have plans to break away from this system or not, but it makes sense that they would need to continue to have compatabilty with the rest of the local agencies.

Duster

Supposedly Retired...
Database Admin
ehssooner14 said:
I've been hearing that some of the KHP still operates on conventional channels. I was under the impression that they all went digital. How much if any of KHP operates on conventional frequencies and is it even worth programming them into my scanner?

All of KHP in western Kansas is operating on 800mhz conventional repeaters (the same ones listed on their RR page). It is analog and easily scannable. I was back there last month and monitored the whole time I was there.

KAA951

Premium Subscriber
ehssooner14 said:

The eastern 1/3 of Kansas is all P-25 trunked (Troops A, B and H) along with the Turnpike (Troop G). Troop F (Wichita) is in the midst of converting and Troop C (Salina) should convert by the end of the year. Beyond that KHP still uses the 800 analog repeaters throughout western Kansas.

KDOT is still looking for funds to finish the rest of the system through western Kansas.

Check the KSICS page to see which towers have converted and the schedule.

KAA951

Premium Subscriber
SuperC said:
Once they go digital, do they give up the capability of using conventional frequencies?

The XTL5000 radios KHP is using are capable of operating in conventional or trunked, analog or digital modes depending on the program. The only limitation is that the radio can't simultaneously operate in the different environments- e.g. a radio operating on KSICS in P-25 trunking can not hear conventional analog traffic. It you switch the radio to talk on a conventional analog tower you would lose connection with KSICS. Unlike newer scanners the radios can only monitor a single single system.

Because of this- KHP has installed a 2nd analog 800 radio in cars in Wichita, Topeka and KC areas so they can simultaneously operate on and monitor the local analog trunked systems and KSICS.

ehssooner14

Today I was listening to my pro 97 in town today and I caught some traffic on 866.0125 which I have down as a KHP tac channel. the signal wasnt very good but i heard a ten count followed by some other traffic. definatley wasn't digital though.

n0lqt

ehssooner14 said:
Today I was listening to my pro 97 in town today and I caught some traffic on 866.0125 which I have down as a KHP tac channel. the signal wasnt very good but i heard a ten count followed by some other traffic. definatley wasn't digital though.

I've heard them also in Newton. I think City of McPherson Utilities has started using that freq based on some of the street names I've heard. Their antenna must be way the heck up in the air though. It was a solid S9 signal inside a building here in Newton even with just a RS 800mHz duckie antenna on my Pro-96....

Status
Not open for further replies.