Khp

Status
Not open for further replies.

KHPFAN

I was curious if anyone could answer my ? I live near marshall co and ever since they went digital, i have been receiving different troopers. They are mostly coming across C khp 1 and 3. I'm not aware of any other towers in troop c that are digital with the same frequencies as marshall that would be bouncing off of it. i know that pott troopers are using pott freq's and troop b channels but some that i have been hearing are from geary and riley and have been patrolling the manhattan area on I-70. If anyone could answer these for me that would be great!.....

n0lqt

The new state system is a "linked" system. Some towers are hard-line linked to other towers and all of them have "patch" capabilities. As the need arises, they can send calls from one tower to another tower even at the other end of the system if need be.

As an example, Troopers on the Turnpike all communicate to dispatch in Wichita. When a KTA Trooper in Leavenworth county calls in a car stop, his radio is requesting a patch thru the system to the Wichita site. That's why we here in the Wichita area hear almost all of the KTA traffic (I had to actually lock out the tollbooth talkgroup it got so annoying). His radio is affiliated with Bonner Springs site and Dispatch is affiliated with the Wichita site. The system knows this and links the two.

Frequently I can hear a trooper making a blood run from Southeast Kansas somewhere to the Southcentral area. The system lets me follow him all the way from Independence to Wichita frequently.

The whole idea of this new system is interoperability. A couple of years ago, we had some wildfires in the Reno County area that ended up calling in units from all over the area and several different counties. Of course, none of them could talk to each other and several were completely out of communications range with their dispatch. The eventual goal of this system is that a unit on the street in Meade KS will, with just a few button pushes, be able to speak to a Trooper standing on the steps of the Capital building in Topeka. Even now I hear Radio Maintenence Techs traveling the state chatting with each other for a couple of hours or more as one or both move around the state.

This is, of course, a very simple explanation of the process. I'm sure if you ask, one or more of the techie's lurking about would be happy to give you all the buzz-word explanations. What talk groups you hear will vary from day to day depending on what radios have "affiliated" with that tower and what talkgroups they are assigned to listen to. If you want to get into the nuts and bolts of it, you can use a program call Pro96Com (available on the Yahoo group of the same name) to decode the control channel data. It will show affiliations, patches, channel grants and the such.....

Status
Not open for further replies.