KI4LIV Mobile setup - Reborn

Status
Not open for further replies.

KI4LIV

Premium Subscriber
scanbc780 said:
Preach it brother! LOL!

Hey how did your mount come out, were you able to resolve the problem with it swaying. The interior is very similar to my car and I am hoping that works out. I would like to find something similar, I have been looking at RAM Mounts. I would like to keep is low profile like yours, so it is kinda snug to the console. Its tough to decide which one will work without having it in my hand or trying it.

I am about to post up photos in just a moment of the updates.

I had to move it to the driver's side.

I wouldn't have had these issues if I would have been able to get the top seat bolt loosened on the passenger side though!

KI4LIV

Premium Subscriber
Ok - here's the updated photos.

It TOUCHES my leg - it doesn't rest on it!

It's 100% clear of the airbag deployment zone too!

No more sway, as the mount is now between the seat and console and simply CAN'T move!

Everything is literally at my fingertips!

Doesn't interfere with the shifter!

2 wires still just hanging out - that will be fixed soon - the antenna cables!

No external speaker right now - I found there's an open in the cable - need to find where it's at and fix it.

From just to the right of the driver's headrest:
DriversHeadrest.jpg

From the driver's view (don't mind my hairy leg!):
IntheLight.jpg

In the dark:
IntheDark.jpg

Base of the mount:
MountBase.jpg

Top part of the mount:
MountTop.jpg

NOTE: This actually is from an Arkon CELL PHONE mounting kit!

I just simply didn't use the cell phone holder - I used one of the parts that is included and bolted the scanner's mounting bracket to it.

Got it on Ebay!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170201150144

W4TF

To each his own, but it looks a little cramped on ure side. How about putting it back where it was but secure the top/neck of the stand just below the radio platform to the center console with some sort of "u" bracket? That might keep it stable as well as out of the way.

W4TF

btw - I made the jump and finally handed in my ham license plate application. Can't wait to get it now :). It's just too bad that the FL plate is SOOO bland. I wish it had something more "artsy" to it or better notation of "amateur radio" other than the little title on the bottm of the tag....

N4GKS

JWhipple said:
I hate to be a jerk about this, but, this crap about drilling holes REALLY pisses me off!

It's not your vehicle - if you want to drill holes in your car, drill the damned holes.

If you want to drill holes in your head, drill the damned holes.

If you want to drill holes through your front teeth and call it bling, drill the damned holes.

You're not the one making the payments - until you start footing the bill, lay off the hole drilling business!

.........nevermind.

Last edited:

TooLate

I'm thinkin it's a well over-due statement of fact (obsession w/drilling holes). I've had units in cars for 30 years & have never drilled a hole...and NEVER had a complaint about reception or, for that matter, an issue come trade in time.

There are just some folks that think that their way is the only way and it's nice to see someone "man up" and tell it like it is. It remains the US of A, Freedom of Choice prevails within the confines of sovereign responsibility, so "To Drill or Not to Drill" is no longer a question...it is and shall remain a "choice."

...bad day or not...it just needed to be said...no apology necessary.

Well done install considering the unfriendly logistics. Is the speaker fixed or is it resting there (shift lever issues?)?

TL

KI4LIV

Premium Subscriber
TooLate said:
Well done install considering the unfriendly logistics. Is the speaker fixed or is it resting there (shift lever issues?)?

TL

Right now it's not even hooked up OR sitting there.

It's on my bench so I can test it this weekend and find where the break in the cable is!

KI4LIV

Premium Subscriber
majsingh said:
btw - I made the jump and finally handed in my ham license plate application. Can't wait to get it now :). It's just too bad that the FL plate is SOOO bland. I wish it had something more "artsy" to it or better notation of "amateur radio" other than the little title on the bottm of the tag....

The whole purpose for me getting the ham plate is that I live on a barrier island. I saw how easily other hams were able to get through to the barrier island to give situation updates to the county EOC after a hurricane, but me, even though I was doing the same thing for the EOC, got hassled by the sheriff's dept. They got through so easily because of the ham plate.

N4GKS

majsingh said:

You need to petition the Fl. DMV folks and let them know you guys want a ham tag. That's what happened here in Alabama and we got a nice looking tag. I don't run one though, but I used to.

KI4LIV

Premium Subscriber
W4CRT said:
You need to petition the Fl. DMV folks and let them know you guys want a ham tag. That's what happened here in Alabama and we got a nice looking tag. I don't run one though, but I used to.

Well, we have the one that I have now - but it's a standard Florida license plate with Amateur Radio on the bottom instead of "Sunshine State" or the name of the county.

Not too pretty - but then again - I don't think there is much artsy stuff that they could do that's ham related. I could be wrong though!

AZScanner

Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very col
JWhipple said:
Sorry guys - that was really out of line of me - but I had a really crappy day at the office and that was the straw that broke the camel's back!

I really appreciate all the positive feedback that everyone has given!

I drilled holes in my car once, back when I was young and first started getting into scanners... boy did my dad come unglued...LOL!

I hear ya, these days with even the most basic cars selling for 5 figures, you'd have to have a screw loose to drill a hole in it. Talk about killing your trade-in value. I've always preferred the trunk lip mounts myself, no damage to your vehicle and won't blow off at speed or scratch the paint like a mag mount does.

Love the mobile install. I'm thinking of finally breaking down and taking the mobile install plunge myself - maybe this weekend. We'll see... :)

-AZ

N4GKS

AZScanner said:
I drilled holes in my car once, back when I was young and first started getting into scanners... boy did my dad come unglued...LOL!

I hear ya, these days with even the most basic cars selling for 5 figures, you'd have to have a screw loose to drill a hole in it. Talk about killing your trade-in value. I've always preferred the trunk lip mounts myself, no damage to your vehicle and won't blow off at speed or scratch the paint like a mag mount does.

Love the mobile install. I'm thinking of finally breaking down and taking the mobile install plunge myself - maybe this weekend. We'll see... :)

-AZ

People used to keep their cars longer than a few years. If you had a car 10 years it wasn't worth much more drilled holes or not. I had a brand new '86 Caprice Classic I took to the radio shop and had them drill 2 holes on each side of the trunk. When I traded it in they just welded the holes with some steel plate, sanded, primered and painted. You couldn't even tell they were there.

SCPD

QRT
RESCUE4NFD said:
Nice looking car,radio install.but I would have used a different type of antenna and mounts.....With that being said it is your ride..Drive on!

Yeah, I'd have drilled the trunk and put in Stealthy ANTENNEX Low profiles, But thats a nice, Very nice set-up.

tmfok7

Very nice set-up! I do have to admit I liked the appearance better when you had it on the passenger side but!, you gotta do what you gotta do!

You did what I want to do when I get around to mounting a radio again in the vehicle. I did do something similar to that several years ago but made a mount out of some 1 1/2 or 2" PVC, a couple of, more or less, flat end- caps, a thick washer for some extra support and a hole in a cup holder slot. Worked real well and when I sold the car, I went to Chevrolet and bought a replacement cup holder as it was removable.

As far as the license plates; I kinda like the Florida Amateur plates. There's something about a callsign and a couple of Oranges hanging in the middle of it that makes me Hungry!!!!

Last edited:

red8

Your mobile setup

I like what you have done, A lot of departments around the country are using the Charger,
and BTW I, thank you for your service.
red8

KI4LIV

Premium Subscriber
There's only one other option that I've considered - removing the cup holders and using that space... That will require me to remote the entire console though to remove the cup holder module... What a PITA that would be!

Status
Not open for further replies.