KI4LIV Mobile setup - Reborn

Status
Not open for further replies.

KI4LIV

Premium Subscriber
I finally got around to setting up in my '07 Charger....

Can't say it looks nearly as good as my Jottodesk did in my '05 Ram, but, I'm back on the air !

Better pics from more angles will come when I get all the wires hidden!

RearView.jpg

AntennasAngle.jpg

Interior-DriverSide.jpg

RadiosCloseup.jpg

RESCUE4NFD

Nice looking car,radio install.but I would have used a different type of antenna and mounts.....With that being said it is your ride..Drive on!

CLTX11

Good looking install, Chargers leave no room for radios but you found a way. Just be sure and not scratch up those knuckles on that speaker when shifting into park!

slypx

Quebec DB Adm
Premium Subscriber
Considering that the Charger is not "radio-friendly" you did great !

Since they always seems to have the last word, any comments from your passenger ? Enough room ? Are the passenger knees touching the equipment ? ...

My wife would not go for ta installation in my Charger without 200 complaints !

W4TF

Very nice and clean look. BTW - how long did it take for you to get ure HAM operator license plate? I am taking in my application tomorrow.

73's and Semper Fi!
K4VKS

commscanaus

That is an awesome car and a great install!
The trunk lip mounts fit very well- and the sloping rear windscreen must help.

Really like those Dodge Chargers!

Dodge has released several cars here in Australia- the Caliber, Avenger and Nitro.

I doubt whether we will see the Charger- I would certainly like to have one!

The Marines ribbon really looks good on the trunk lid too!

Regards, Commscanaus.

KI4LIV

Premium Subscriber
The antennas DID touch the rear window - thankfully those mounts I use allowed me to tilt the antennas back about 2-3 degrees - now they don't.

I used what I had from my last install - no sense to me to spend extra money on new antennas and mounts when you already have a good working set!

No complaints from the warden (my wife!) - she likes the setup and has actually been complaining that I didn't put it in sooner - she likes listening!

HAM plate took a while to come in - probably 6-8 weeks :-(

NYRHKY94

JWhipple:

Nice install! Very clean too. Nice job.

P.S. What is the make & model for those trunk lip mounts? I'm thinking of changing my current trunk lip mount and want to check those out.

Thanks - Mike

IceBlueEyes579

Premium Subscriber
Hey

This might be off the subject but how do you like your Yaesu ft 7800? Im thinking about gettin one. What are the pros and cons of it and anything else you can think of.

Thanks

Andrew

KI4LIV

Premium Subscriber
The mounts are Diamond D400 NMO mounts... Nice because they can be used in pretty much any angle and any application. I used them on my Dodge Ram 1500 to clip onto the inside of the bed rail. A slight reconfiguration and they now are on the trunk of the car.

That Yaesu FT7800 is actually a very good rig. This is my second one - I traded the first one in at AES to get a Kenwood D700A but the receiption was weak on that rig. Sure, the Kenwood had an AWESOME display and lots of toys, but the Yaesu was more my speed. As a base rig, the Kenwood would have done the trick though - just too many bells and whistles to use them all in the mobile. So, I traded the Kenwood in back towards the FT7800.

One thing I do wish it had though is dual receive - I should have gotten the FT8800 !

Last edited:

KI4LIV

Premium Subscriber
majsingh said:
Very nice and clean look. BTW - how long did it take for you to get ure HAM operator license plate? I am taking in my application tomorrow.

73's and Semper Fi!
K4VKS

Just a thought - Florida offers a USMC plate - I wonder if I could get a USMC plate done with my call sign as a vanity? :)

W4TF

JWhipple said:
Just a thought - Florida offers a USMC plate - I wonder if I could get a USMC plate done with my call sign as a vanity? :)

u def could, u might just get a lot of questions of what the vanity plate means. Then again, maybe not since if I'm not mistaken, our USMC plate only holds 5 characters so it might not work for u. Maybe you could apply for a vanity callsign with 5 characters so make it fit then get the USMC plate.

What kind of stand/mount are u using to hold the radios on the car? Do u have pics of the mount? I am looking for something clean and neat like that.

KI4LIV

Premium Subscriber
I'll hold off on posting the mount till I can test something tonight!

Seems that having the two radios on top of it have made it a bit top heavy and it wants to sway a lot, so, I'm going to try something with it this evening.

Sure, it looks good, but, that's only when the car doesn't move LOL!

KI4LIV

Premium Subscriber
I hate to be a jerk about this, but, this crap about drilling holes REALLY pisses me off!

It's not your vehicle - if you want to drill holes in your car, drill the damned holes.

If you want to drill holes in your head, drill the damned holes.

If you want to drill holes through your front teeth and call it bling, drill the damned holes.

You're not the one making the payments - until you start footing the bill, lay off the hole drilling business!

scanbc780

Usually Lurking
JWhipple said:
I hate to be a jerk about this, but, this crap about drilling holes REALLY pisses me off!

It's not your vehicle - if you want to drill holes in your car, drill the damned holes.

If you want to drill holes in your head, drill the damned holes.

If you want to drill holes through your front teeth and call it bling, drill the damned holes.

You're not the one making the payments - until you start footing the bill, lay off the hole drilling business!

Preach it brother! LOL!

Hey how did your mount come out, were you able to resolve the problem with it swaying. The interior is very similar to my car and I am hoping that works out. I would like to find something similar, I have been looking at RAM Mounts. I would like to keep is low profile like yours, so it is kinda snug to the console. Its tough to decide which one will work without having it in my hand or trying it.

KI4LIV

Premium Subscriber
Sorry guys - that was really out of line of me - but I had a really crappy day at the office and that was the straw that broke the camel's back!

I really appreciate all the positive feedback that everyone has given!

Status
Not open for further replies.