KILLER SIGNAL! VOA 9775kHz via Botswana To N. Africa

DXerPaulAK

This is Voice of America on 9775kHz via Botswana to N. Africa, beamed at 340 deg. azimuth in the 0300UTC hour Jan 19th. Look at that killer signal and massively low noise floor!

Well, here's a look at why it's so good..... follow the 340 deg. az line.. where does it go? within a few hundred miles east of me and as one engineer put it, it's probably a pretty wide beam... and a few hundred miles in HF isnt much.

Plus, it's probably a bit enhanced as it travels because it comes real close to or goes over the pole.

This is why I get excited about HF DX... way outside the target area, yet in exactly the right place for a killer signal!!

collage(8).jpg

Boombox

I hear Botswana a lot more than I thought I would. Madagascar and Swaziland, too. Comes over the pole (I'm in the PNW, not too far off beam from your azimuth out of Africa).

Sometimes I've heard Botswana, Madagascar, etc. when the rest of the prop is down. I.e., static and little else, aside from WRMI.

cc333

9775 kHz comes in quite clearly here in the SF Bay Area some evenings.

It's almost too bad VOA doesn't have a domestic outlet for US listeners. I find their news much more interesting and informative than most of the regular sources.

c

Skypilot007

Premium Subscriber
The bands are coming alive again with the latest solar cycle. I've been hearing and working many stations in Africa and Asia from the east coast.