kind of radio

Status
Not open for further replies.

prayincowboy

i need to know what i need for a simple hand held radio that will pick up edmonds n okc's new system maybe how much they run too if you have ne idea?

Colin9690

Delaware County, OH
Premium Subscriber
Are you talking about a scanner, or a professional grade radio? If you are talking about a professional Motorola radio, they sell on ebay for about $500-5000, depending on the model.

car2back

Read the sticky that's titled : Listening to OKC- the FAQ

The system is EDACS, and the Public Saftey users' (I.E. Fire, Police) radio traffic is in Digital Provice, there is no scanner on the market that can recieve and monitor Provoice.

Last edited:

freqscout

If you want to monitor DPS and are not interested in the APCO digital then the BR-330T and te BCT-15 will cover things in the city just fine minus the City's PROVOICE EDACS System cause nothing really covers that. HOWEVER, the OKC Fire Dept's tone out talkgroup is analog so you could listen to the FD sending out units to all of the hotspots in the city (no pun intended).

Edmond, Norman, and DPS are all on a Smartzone 800 Mhz system that is all analog, for now. EMSA has already began implementing the measures to put their OKC group on the DPS system. All of those can currently be scanned without any of the digital scanning functions and the scanners are a bit more reasonably priced. However, I'm sure it is a matter of time until you need a digital scanner.

Welcome to the metro...,,whenever you get settled in refer to the OKC Area Scannner Meeting thread. We get together and talk alot about the various systems and scanning in general. We also help each other out when there is an issue with a scanner or radio. We would love to have you.

trainwreck100

I'm interested in an upgrade too...My big purchase for this year is going to be a lifetime hunting/fishing license (annual ones and tags are expensive!) but I'd really like to get something that would do a little more than my BC80XLT. It does Canadian County and rural fire depts. alright, but I'd really like to hear the city when I go that way. Is there going to be a scanner that will scan the Provoice system in the future, or is it encrypted? If there's something new and better coming out I'm willing to wait a while on it.

Thanks,
Greg

mam1081

Feed Provider
phil_smith said:
Read the sticky that's titled : Listening to OKC- the FAQ

The system is EDACS, and the Public Saftey users' (I.E. Fire, Police) radio traffic is in Digital Provice, there is no scanner on the market that can recieve and monitor Provoice.

Thanks Phil. It applies again here....

Any scanner that will trunk EDACS will allow you to listen to the dog catchers and the zoo and metro transit, but as Phil said, all the PD and FD are ProVoice. There is currently not a scanner (nor one in the forseeable future) that will listen to ProVoice.

Status
Not open for further replies.