and a new IC-R2500 (P25) fully loaded I been a big SWL
and now like to try my luck with scanning
Im looking for other Kingston people..
for tips and info to get me started..
I Plan on getting a trunk tracker
and a sdr for hf as well

IdleMonitor

Premium Subscriber
Welcome aboard. All the frequency info you want is listed in the database. Ontario Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

Couple of points to remember however. Kingston PD - Encrypted can't listen to them, OPP - P25 Digital but you'll need a digital trunktracker to properly listen, MTO-Enforcement and MNR are there as well also in P25, EMS/MTO Operations are analog on the system. Everything thing else in your area should be ok for you also.

Otherwise, check through all the links available from the one link I provided, you should find lots to listen to. Also don't forget to check the US side as well too.

Hi this va3rwt I live in Kingston I own a PCR-1000
and a new IC-R2500 (P25) fully loaded I been a big SWL
and now like to try my luck with scanning
Im looking for other Kingston people..
for tips and info to get me started..
I Plan on getting a trunk tracker
and a sdr for hf as well

gfdfortynine

Welcome

I'm not in Kingston, but I work there, does that count.
I live in Gananoque. ;)
I'm not a scanner expert but have been listening for a long time (mostly fire) and I'm kinda gettin more into it.

Anyway just thought I would say hey.

va3rwt

Hi . Welcome along... I to am not a expert but hope to be,,
Im a SWL as well. Number Stations, Air and Maritime
I love Decoding as well.
I would like to see local listeners to the Kingston area
gather here to help each other out :) I would like to start
a local SWL and Scanning Club as well

justint

Premium Subscriber
Another question

Hey,

I'm a Kingston resident and a total newcomer to scanning, though I've been listening to the online feeds for some time. It's a great resource and it's too bad it's down right now.

I have no scanning equipment and I'm hoping to get my hands on a hand-held scanner.

From what I read above, it seems:
-You can't scan KPD.
-I would need a P25 capable/digital scanner to hear OPP.
-but if I just wanted Kingston Fire/Rescue (does that fall under EMS?) I can use an analoge (with Trunking?) scanner?

My main goals would be to be able to listen to Kingston Fire/Rescue, area OPP, and Belleville emergency services. I also spend some time in Vancouver, B.C.; if anyone has knowledge about what kind of parameters are needed to hear their fire/rescue, that would be fantastic as well (though I know this is the Ont forum!)

I'd love to get advice regarding equipment or whatnot. It's great that you folks are all really patient with answering these types of beginner questions!

As well, is there a source for this kind of equipment in Southeastern Ontario?

Thanks all!

gfdfortynine

Hey,

I'm a Kingston resident and a total newcomer to scanning, though I've been listening to the online feeds for some time. It's a great resource and it's too bad it's down right now.

I have no scanning equipment and I'm hoping to get my hands on a hand-held scanner.

From what I read above, it seems:
-You can't scan KPD.
-I would need a P25 capable/digital scanner to hear OPP.
-but if I just wanted Kingston Fire/Rescue (does that fall under EMS?) I can use an analoge (with Trunking?) scanner?

My main goals would be to be able to listen to Kingston Fire/Rescue, area OPP, and Belleville emergency services. I also spend some time in Vancouver, B.C.; if anyone has knowledge about what kind of parameters are needed to hear their fire/rescue, that would be fantastic as well (though I know this is the Ont forum!)

I'd love to get advice regarding equipment or whatnot. It's great that you folks are all really patient with answering these types of beginner questions!

As well, is there a source for this kind of equipment in Southeastern Ontario?

Thanks all!

Currently you can monitor Kingston Fire with a regular analogue scanner.
I noticed the KFR feed was down so I started hosting it. Coming in fairly well with just my base and its on board antenna. Hoping to get a new outdoor antenna installed soon.
Gananoque Fire Live Scanner Audio Feed

As far as suppliers in Kingston not many I know of. The source sells scanners, I just bought an antenna from Durham Radio located in Whitby, very fast shipping :), they sell scanners.
I've just started back into the scanning habit so I'm a little out of touch with the current. Hopeful somebody else will add some info.

I don't currently live in Kingston, but I used to. I try to get up to the KARC fleamarket there each November. Maybe I'll see you at one.

As previously stated, KPD are now encrypted and unmonitorable, but with a digital P-25 scanner, everything else you want to listen to should be possible. Not sure if Correctional Services are encrypted. I'll let someone else local answer that one.

I really like my Radio Shack PRO-106 handheld digital scanner. It works great on Fleetnet, especially the "Roam" mode which automatically selects the best tower (assuming you have them all programmed for Zone 2 of course.)

Why not take a drive to Watertown NY? There are two Radio Shack stores there, one at the Salmon Run Mall and the other on Arsenal St. (Route 3) just East of Interstate 81. There is also a store near Fort Drum, about the same distance, but there is more to do in Watertown. See: Store Locator

Or wait for a sale, order on line, and go pick it up at the Wellesley Island "Ship To The Border" location. Wellesley Island Border Locations | Ship to the Border

This will work for any supplier, by the way, not just Radio Shack. I often use a similar service in Massena NY, which I am not too far away from. Declare it at the border, go in and pay the 13% HST, and you're done!

wheelerg

Premium Subscriber
Welcome, live in Belleville but work in Ktown, lots of New York stuff to scan also, Jefferson Sherriff Dept is active along with State police.... no question is a stupid one....ask away

Status
Not open for further replies.