Kit Carson County Fatal & C/G

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
DATE: 5-29-08
TIME: 8:05 P.M.
LOCATION: Westbound lanes of I-70 at milepost 407. Approximately 2 miles east of Seibert, CO.

On 5-29-08 at approximately 4:00 P.M. Troopers responded to the westbound lanes of I-70.
A gray 1962 Studebaker was traveling westbound on I-70 within the right lane and a yellow 2007 International moving truck, was also traveling westbound on I-70. The yellow International truck was pulling a car hauler trailer with a car in tow. The International truck struck the left rear of the Studebaker with its right front while on the roadway. After impact the Studebaker went off the right side of the road and rolled 1 1/2 times, ejecting the driver and passenger during the rollover and came to final rest on its top facing in a north easterly direction. The International truck also went off the right side of the road and rolled 3/4 of a time and traveled through a fence and came to its final rest on its right side facing in a north easterly direction.

The restrained driver of the International truck has been identified as George R. Fromm, 64 of La Salle, CO. Fromm sustained minor injuries and was treated and released on the scene of the crash.
A restrained female passenger within the International has been identified as Lisa J. Fromm, 42 of La Salle, CO. Fromm sustained minor injuries and was treated and released on the scene of the crash.

The unrestrained male driver of the Studebaker has been identified as James F. Calhoun, 46 of Claflin, KS. Calhoun sustained serious injuries and was transported to the Kit Carson County Hospital in Burlington, CO. and then later airlifted to St. Anthony's Central of Denver, CO.
An unrestrained 53 year old female from Grinnell, KS. was also within the Studebaker. The female passenger sustained fatal injuries and was pronounced dead on the scene by the Kit Carson County Coroner. The female passenger's identity is being with held pending next of kin notification.

George Fromm has been charged with a summons and has been released. The following are the charges:

1 count of careless driving causing death and 1 count of careless driving causing bodily injury, both charges are a class 1 misdemeanor traffic offense.

Alcohol drugs and speed are not suspected as contributing factors, however inattentive to driving may have contributed.
Next of kin have not been notified.

More information will be released as it becomes available.

Status
Not open for further replies.