Kitchener Fire dept.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ihearsirens

Was looking up local tenders when I noticed that there is a tender out for a new pumper tanker. Anyone know what is being replaced or do we just need a new one? It's ironic that they cut their budget this year and buy them a new truck. Ohh well always cool to see a new toy racing down the street.

69stiles

Tank 1 currently running out of Station 6 is retiring. People retire, they get replaced. Trucks retire, they get replaced. Service aggreement calls for a certain amount of manpower & apparatus. Not really a budget issue

Ihearsirens

Tank 1 currently running out of Station 6 is retiring. People retire, they get replaced. Trucks retire, they get replaced. Service aggreement calls for a certain amount of manpower & apparatus. Not really a budget issue

According to the KPFFA website one Aerial truck will be out of service 20 percent of the time, maybe just me but I think that is a budget issue. A new truck looks great but if there is nobody to staff that truck sort of beats the purpose. I think for how often that tank goes out we could have got one more year out of it.

tmbstn

Premium Subscriber
According to the KPFFA website one Aerial truck will be out of service 20 percent of the time, maybe just me but I think that is a budget issue. A new truck looks great but if there is nobody to staff that truck sort of beats the purpose. I think for how often that tank goes out we could have got one more year out of it.

Quote from Kitchener Professional Fire Fighters Association (Date of article not noted)
"The fire department budget consumes 25.3 per cent of the property taxes collected every year. That amounts to about $241 per household. It is by far the most expensive city service.

The fire department aims to have 37 firefighters on duty for each shift. For 40 per cent of all shifts, at least one firefighter had to be called in on overtime. For years, the department has exceeded its overtime budget. In the past few months, the need to call in firefighters on overtime has dropped to about 20 per cent of the shifts.

With the cuts approved Thursday, no firefighters will be called in for an overtime shift until the total on duty has dropped to below 35. Instead, an aerial truck will be taken out of service."

See KPFFA for full article

I would think that the pumper being retired will find a great home, and be back in service. Maybe even at one of our many surrounding VFD's?

69stiles

There are budgets in place to replace every truck after a certain amount of time & are completely separate from staffing budgets. NFPA standard is 10 years on a front line pumper. KFD T-1 is unmanned meaning it sits at a hall until a tanker call comes in. It is a 2002 I believe & a real sweet truck. A volunteer Dept would definitely love this & it just happens to be for sale.

Status
Not open for further replies.