Kitchener-Waterloo EDACS Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

waterlooregionfire

Premium Subscriber
I am new to scanning and have lots to learn, so I apologize in advance for any seemingly silly questions!

Currently, I am using a BC780XLT to scan the Fire EDACS in Waterloo Region, Ontario, Canada. I am also an unofficial photographer for the Kitchener Fire Department. I found out recently that the Regional EDACS system is not equipped with a pager system for the city departments (Kitchener and Waterloo) so I am forced to listen to the scanner to pick up fire calls. Pagers work on the fire-tone system for the township volunteer departments, but the cities stations are dispatched directly. Because others in my household do not share my passion for listening to the scanner, I need a system to alert me (preferably via SMS or email) when a dispatch is sent out.

I’ve signed up for the email alert set up for the townships in Waterloo Region and the surrounding counties (TwoToneDetect) which use fire-tone and am amazed by the this system (http://forums.radioreference.com/eastern-canada-radio-discussion-forum/168926-fire-page-email.html).

My question – is it possible to decode the data coming from the BC780XLT to a PC to pick up which Radio IDs are being used in any given exchange? For example, is it possible to read the data output from the radio to pick up Radio ID 6401 (Waterloo Dispatch) talking to 6205 (Waterloo Platoon Chief Car 23) and 6208 (Waterloo Pump 2)? The only time Dispatch would talk to these two radios at the same time would be in the event of a fire call. If this is the case, I would then be able to write a program similar to TwoToneDetect which would record a 30 second sound-bit and would send it in an email to my BlackBerry and to anyone else who is interested.

I would appreciate any help you can give me on this topic. I imagine I’m totally off the mark with my understanding of Radio ID, etc., but I’m hopeful there is something I can do.

Please feel free to reply directly to this thread, or if you’d like, you can email me at waterlooregionfire@gmail.com

Thank you for your help,
Ian

69stiles

To the best of my knowledge, the only way you can monitor a certain portable radio is if it was transmitting an iCall. Don't forget about the other option I mentioned a few days ago. They're very nice

motomeso

Premium Subscriber
I am new to scanning and have lots to learn, so I apologize in advance for any seemingly silly questions!

Currently, I am using a BC780XLT to scan the Fire EDACS in Waterloo Region, Ontario, Canada. I am also an unofficial photographer for the Kitchener Fire Department. I found out recently that the Regional EDACS system is not equipped with a pager system for the city departments (Kitchener and Waterloo) so I am forced to listen to the scanner to pick up fire calls. Pagers work on the fire-tone system for the township volunteer departments, but the cities stations are dispatched directly. Because others in my household do not share my passion for listening to the scanner, I need a system to alert me (preferably via SMS or email) when a dispatch is sent out.

I’ve signed up for the email alert set up for the townships in Waterloo Region and the surrounding counties (TwoToneDetect) which use fire-tone and am amazed by the this system (http://forums.radioreference.com/eastern-canada-radio-discussion-forum/168926-fire-page-email.html).

My question – is it possible to decode the data coming from the BC780XLT to a PC to pick up which Radio IDs are being used in any given exchange? For example, is it possible to read the data output from the radio to pick up Radio ID 6401 (Waterloo Dispatch) talking to 6205 (Waterloo Platoon Chief Car 23) and 6208 (Waterloo Pump 2)? The only time Dispatch would talk to these two radios at the same time would be in the event of a fire call. If this is the case, I would then be able to write a program similar to TwoToneDetect which would record a 30 second sound-bit and would send it in an email to my BlackBerry and to anyone else who is interested.

I would appreciate any help you can give me on this topic. I imagine I’m totally off the mark with my understanding of Radio ID, etc., but I’m hopeful there is something I can do.

Please feel free to reply directly to this thread, or if you’d like, you can email me at waterlooregionfire@gmail.com

Thank you for your help,
Ian

Actually some guys have had some success with Two Tone Detect decoding the 1500/800 warble tones. I believe the tones in the warble used by KFD for Kitchener and Waterloo is 1000/500 hz and I might be able to do the same for here.

waterlooregionfire

Premium Subscriber
warble tones

I'd appreciate it if you could give it a try! Even if it works 75% of the time, it's better than nothing. I have an old PC box which I'd be happy to donate to the cause. I know the sound card works and there are a bunch of USB ports and some serial ports. Could you let me know if you set this system up and I'd be happy BETA it for you. You can email me with any details waterlooregionfire@gmail.com.

This would be a great system to have and I know there is a lot of interest.

bwjmackie

Apologies if replying to such an old thread offends anyone's sensibilities... Just wanted to follow up on this in regards to the frequencies of the two-tone warble used for dispatch alerts for Kitchener and Waterloo. The frequencies are 475Hz and 875Hz and alternate back and forth in 220ms blocks. (I wanted to make a nice clean MP3 of the tones for use as a BlackBerry ringtone... that's why I've dug this up).

69stiles

Since we're back on the subject. Ian also asked if it is possible to listen to one specific mobile or portable radio. My new PSR-800 shows the radio ID & I believe you can hold on it to hear just those transmitions. Does anyone else have one of these radio's that might know? Can a few select radio ID's be put in a folder?

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
You cannot hold on a radio ID to just listen to that one radio ID, no. It's only for use as a label so you know what radio is talking.

69stiles

Ya I thought I had read you could do more with them but I can't find much now. This is all the manual says....Use RID Alert!
When enabled, displays and/or plays the visual and audible alert
settings associated with a specific Radio ID when that Radio ID
becomes involved in a call........So at least we can get an alert!

Status
Not open for further replies.