Kleberg County (Kingsville, TX) Dead Frequencies?

Status
Not open for further replies.

iweberdudei

Hello, Question for Radio Reference staff, or anyone else who can answer.

I subscribe to RR via my ARC XT software and I recently imported the trunk system for Kleberg county Texas directly from the RR database. It includes all the freqs from the water tower transmitter: Police, Sheriff, Fire, EMS etc...And I get Nothing! I travel there once a week usually.

I am using a Uniden BCD996XT digital scanner. I can pick up Corpus Christi Edacs - no problem, DPS, no problem, Victoria Police, no problem..and I travel all around the state....When I work in Kingsville, I cannot for the life of me get any traffic on the Kleberg county trunk system.

Was there a slight programming error? Perhaps a decimal in the wrong place on "any" one of the many channels? Or has Kleberg county totally switched over to a new system? If this could be answered or maybe updated in the database it would be appreciated. I work for an alarm company and I like to monitor mostly Law Enforcement traffic while in the city I am working in. Thanks so much for any insight.

Jim M

Last edited:

Robert721

Premium Subscriber
I don't see anything in the Corpus Christi EDACS system but my gut feeling after looking at some of the talk groups is that Kleberg county has been merged into that system. It seems to be an ongoing trend in areas to link up and combine systems. In the Houston area Montgomery county was the only EDACS system and they finally switch to Motorola and combined into the Harris county regional system.

Lets see what the RR guys have on this. I might want to add that area to my 996 for when I travel to the area.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Hello, Question for Radio Reference staff, or anyone else who can answer.

I subscribe to RR via my ARC XT software and I recently imported the trunk system for Kleberg county Texas directly from the RR database. It includes all the freqs from the water tower transmitter: Police, Sheriff, Fire, EMS etc...And I get Nothing! I travel there once a week usually.

I am using a Uniden BCD996XT digital scanner. I can pick up Corpus Christi Edacs - no problem, DPS, no problem, Victoria Police, no problem..and I travel all around the state....When I work in Kingsville, I cannot for the life of me get any traffic on the Kleberg county trunk system.

Was there a slight programming error? Perhaps a decimal in the wrong place on "any" one of the many channels? Or has Kleberg county totally switched over to a new system? If this could be answered or maybe updated in the database it would be appreciated. I work for an alarm company and I like to monitor mostly Law Enforcement traffic while in the city I am working in. Thanks so much for any insight.

Jim M
Jim-
Just a hunch here.

Looking at the call sign data for that site, I see that they have been issued their new frequencies for rebanding. Besides the frequencies listed, there's more, 15mhz below the ones listed on the Kleberg system page (your 'water tower site' frequencies).

Try this-

Since you have a 996XT, & FreeScan, add an additional site for that system. Maybe call it "Kleberg Reband".

Now, enter the the frequencies listed, but subtract 15mhz from each one first before entering the LCN's.
So, your LCN 1 would be 851.05000 instead of 866.05000
LCN 2 would be 851.04000, not 866.04000
and so on.
See if the system "tracks" on the rebanded site.
Now, the ringer in all this is that I also see that a sixth frequency, 851.01250, has been added. Got no idea where that might fit in the system, if indeed it has rebanded. You may be able to use Unitrunker to determine that (I'm not a UniTrunker expert, but there are some around).

You can always program those "new" frequencies into a temporary conventional system, just to see if you're hearing voice traffic down their. If so, then you know it has rebanded.

I see that the sheriff's talk groups are labeled as "D". Since the system is tagged as ProVoice & Analog, if they're using ProVoice, your not going to hear them no matter what you do. The fire groups are tagged as "A" (analog), though.

Robert's suggestion of a possible "merge" into Corpus Christi could also be possible. Good luck.

iweberdudei

Kleberg county

Thanks for the reply,,,

Yeah, Ive got the Corpus Christi Edacs, and Kleberg county is not apart of them (Portland, Tx and Robstown is however).

Kleberg county has its own group of frequencies according to the RR database. And yeah hopefully RR will pick up on this. Im not sure if they will see this thread or not. I wish there was a phone number that I could just call and ask them but that would be just a little bit too convenient. :)

iweberdudei

THANKS HiegTX......I will try that tomorrow morning.....I'll see what happens.... I will take a peek at the corpus trunk site to see if Kleberg Co somehow quietly migrated over there.

thanks again to all.

Jim M

texasemt13

CenTex DBA
Premium Subscriber
iweber,

Another hunch based off of hiegtx's. If they have indeed rebanded then the extra frequency hiegtx mentioned could be in there. My hunch is that since prior to rebanding they were all in an ascending order, that you could insert this new frequency as the first LCN (since it would be below 851.0500, the first rebanded frequency).

I'd set them up as conventional frequencies first, then if it does happen to be the rebanding situation, lock out the control channel, listen to it as conventional for the day, then fix the programming that night.

bbedsole

Premium Subscriber
Sorry to enter the discussion a little late, but I live in Corpus Christi and was wondering the same thing recently, and just bought my Pro-97 a few weeks ago. I've picked up the San Patricio County EDACS system quite a bit, but have yet to pick up the Kleberg County EDACS.

Even before I came across this posting, I was already planning to submit an Open Records request to the County asking about their frequencies, and there's no reason they shouldn't have to respond to it. When I get a response, I'll try to pass on the info.

iweberdudei

Good luck with Kleberg county

Hey there bbedsole...yeah, I can get the San Patricio pretty good. Lots of traffic from the county and some P.D. I never ever hear Taft. Mathis is quiet too.

Anyway, about Kleberg county....well it's still a mystery. Let me know if you get the frequencies. I have had trouble with city staff in the past with work related things pertaining to the alarm business. Good luck with them . And you are right they shouldn't have any reason to not give you the frequencies.
Courtney Alvarez is their city attorney.

Jimmy M

bbedsole

Premium Subscriber
Stay tuned

**UPDATE**

Hey iweberdudei, just a quick update to say that I submitted an Open Records request to Kleberg County on Monday (thinking it was their system), but I quickly got a call back from a woman saying that it's the City of Kingsville that runs the system, and the County simply has a few talkgroups on the system.

The woman did mention that she thought there was some rebanding in the works, but she didn't know when it was supposed to take place. She THOUGHT that she would be notified if a change was made, but maybe not.

Anyway, I then submitted the same request to the City of Kingsville Communications Supervisor, Tamara Meyer. If they're like the City of Corpus Christi, they'll have to forward that request to Cortney Alvarez (she's still there?) and maybe even the Attorney General's Office, before I finally hear back in two weeks. I figured there was a slim chance that Ms. Meyer would just grab her "list" and fax it right back, but that was probably being a little too optimistic. :) I'll try to remember to post another followup when I get the info (assuming I get it).

Here's my info if you ever want to use it for scanning inquiries, news tips, etc...

Bart Bedsole
361-886-6164 (Channel 6)
bbedsole@kristv.com

nueces162

My department sent me to Kingsville for training last week so before I went I built a codeplug for my LPE with both the freqs shown to be in use and what they would be after rebanding. There was nothing on the freqs listed but the rebanded freqs that are 15 MHz below those were active and the site number and LCN shown seem to be correct, at least it locked on the CC and I did not notice any gaps in conversations. The groups are definitely ProVoice digital, I did not hear anything analogue but the only groups I put in the radio were the ones shown to be in use.

thelastrebel

san pac co moved to 15 mhz lower for a week then went back to the five freqs they were using,lasted two weeks and now there gone on both bands,,outside of a little vhf traffic its all dead with no id,s or control channals,thus far corpus is still the same with three sites,floor bluff,down town,and robstown,sites all working as before,so kleburg could have very well done the same thing as san pac and just vanished into thin air, they have to have gone some place but thus far ive found nothing on 800/900 mhz doing search and close call,iwas next to a so untit in a gas station and he was on his radio and it didnt hit? so i figure its out of band some place,perhaps in the old cell phone bands maybe? i know last year in a nuther county(rockport) i got a hit with a freq counter and it was on the old cell freqs thats scanner blocked,be the perfect place to hide no doubt,so i gotta find a scanner thats un blocked to see,

bbedsole

Premium Subscriber
Actually, the Ingleside tower frequencies are updated on RR (851.xxxx). I picked up Aransas Pass PD a few times last night and today 2/11/10, and also another unknown ID #1979. I never picked up anything on the Sinton tower freqs though. I think the dust hasn't quite settled over there yet.

thelastrebel

sheriffs tower demolished

Posted todays news here in sinton texas,(sheriffs radio tower demolished to make room for taller structure)'
chief,sheriffs deputy,OSCAR,RIVERA stated,the tower was erected in 1973,it was 280 feet tall and housed many diff,types of communications,work is starting on a new tower site that will be 100 feet taller, with costs around $120.000.(our taxes at work) rivera went on to state that they would be using the inglside/mathis sites until the new site is compleated in about a week from todayGulf Coast Steeplejack was hired to tear it down,(seems all of the micro dishs,antennas,vhf transmitters were left in place and destroyed'WASTE'' i wonder what new tricks they will have when the new building is in place,ive heard rumors they are going open sky

Status
Not open for further replies.