• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

KMC-35 Microphone Not Working on TK-8150

Status
Not open for further replies.

kenwoodgeek

Just a quick question.

We got a bunch of brand new school buses in at my company. We installed TK-8150s in these buses. We ran out of radios (new ones arriving on Monday), so we had to install an 8150 from an older bus.

This particular 8150 seems to ONLY accept KMC-27 microphones. We have brand new, in the bag KMC-35s that we want in these buses, but they won't work. I plug them in, but when I hit the PTT, the radio does not key. Tried two different 35s and two different 27s. 27s work, but 35s don't.

Most of the few 8150s in our buses are using KMC-35s and work flawlessly. Never seen this issue before. Is there a way to correct this? Maybe a firmware update on the radio?

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
The microphones use the same pinout, but the circuitry is a bit different on the PTT side.
Check to see if the mic settings or the external mic port on the DB-25 match the other radios.

Last edited:

kenwoodgeek

Like I said, on all the rest of our radios, the mikes are interchangeable. Most of our 8150s are running KMC-35s perfectly. And a couple of our NX-800s and TK-8180s are running KMC-27s. I borrowed a KMC-35 from a different bus with an 8150. Tested it and worked fine. Then moved it to this 8150, and nothing. Moved it back and worked fine again. I would think there has to be something more to this.

n0fwg

Premium Subscriber
My guess based on similar problems in a NX-820 radio
One of the ground traces in the radio is open, either burned open or liquid got in. The KMC-27 uses a direct path for the PTT switch where as a KMC-35 uses a transistor switch for the PTT>

kenwoodgeek

That is helpful information; thank you very much. I have a good-working TK-8150, at this point, that I am going to swap into the bus. The radio in question will come home with me so I can take a look at it. I will inspect it and report back.

n0fwg

Premium Subscriber
I repaired another NX-820 with the same problem. This one had slight liquid damage under the mic jack where the B+ line had some corrosion on a feed through.

kenwoodgeek

Hmm, interesting. So I guess that does happen periodically.

So I uninstalled the radio, swapped it, and brought it home. I looked inside the jack and didn't see anything out of the ordinary. Swapped a head from a good radio and tried one of my KMC-35s. Worked perfect. So I'll just hold onto it and use it for whatever.

Interestingly enough, our neighboring location brought some radios over for me to check and return, and I now have an NX-800H with the exact same issue. The difference with this one, though, is that I can see the damage inside the jack, and it's not pretty. One of the pins looks like it came dislodged, and there is a fair amount of corrosion and rust. Thankfully, I have a whole NX-800 (minus the chassis) we parted out, so I switched the head out, and now it works great. I'll try to post a pic of the damage.

n0fwg

Premium Subscriber
Without getting out a manual it looks like pin 7 the SW B+ line got eaten up.

Are your radios mounted verticly under the side wing window? Or somewhere during inclement weather it gets rained or snowed on, condensation from a window could also cause this.

Status
Not open for further replies.