KMLC frequency change

Status
Not open for further replies.

sooner77

Premium Subscriber

sooner77,

Thanks for the update.

The chart I have shows 306.92 to be the associated UHF fequency with 128.125.

What's your source for this ? 127.35 is listed as a Kansas City low sector transmitting from Manhattan Kansas. Sector 66. The current FAA approach charts for the area also confirm it (these are usually correct).
Somebody posted it on the ZFW sector chart---see attached. My theory is that, like MLC, an ultra-high freq will com around on ZFW, most likely from Ardmore, OK (Gene Autry, OK) Thanks for the uniform freq for 128.125 for MLC. Hope they don't move it because I will stream it online with the others at MLC.

Have a look at the attachment provided by, I guess, Profile Descent regarding ZFW. In attending the Tinker AFB airshow with the Thunderbirds last weekend, ZKC just booms in on 291.7 on the base, BTW. The victor is not as strong for some reason but was fun listening (128.3). Still no 133.9 at OKC anywhere as stated on RR as a low ZFW freq. It just is not there or is a DECOD.

sooner77

Premium Subscriber

Sooner77,

I'm confused. Do you mean the ZFW controllers on 128.125 ? Where did 120.125 come from, you heard controllers on this frequency ?

Given the location of the 128.125 sector MLC and/or TXK seem like logical locations for the transmitter. Marshall seems like an odd choice considering it's further south than TXK. Although that's what the FAA is saying (but we know how accurate that info is).

You are correct. I heard wrong. It is 128.125. In fact, I was a KHRO today and heard the controller (ZME) have an aircraft contact Fort Worth on 128.125. The ZME controller was on ultra-high 133.025. I suspect an ultra-high freq will be used in the future for ZFW overlying 132.45/363.1 around KOKC. Currently they are handing them off to ZKC 133.2 at Anthony, Kansas, from 132.45 for aircraft headed north.

AirScan

sooner77,

Somebody posted it on the ZFW sector chart---see attached.

I don't see the attachement you are talking about ?

Thanks for the uniform freq for 128.125 for MLC. Hope they don't move it because I will stream it online with the others at MLC.

Are you running a feed now from MLC ? LiveATC or RR ? Or is this a new feed you are planning ?

I pulled up the archives from your HRO and FYV feeds from yesterday and did hear handoffs to 128.12 as well as 135.45 and 134.47. Which leads me to believe they were using 128.12 as a separate ultra-high sector (and not just as a sub for 135.45), that was between time 2100UTC - 2200UTC.

Still no 133.9 at OKC anywhere as stated on RR as a low ZFW freq.

There is no mention of 133.90 on the ZFW sector chart. In that area, sector 35, it shows 126.30 and 128.40. 126.30 is listed in the FAA AFF data but is not in the RR database.

I suspect an ultra-high freq will be used in the future for ZFW overlying 132.45/363.1 around KOKC

The frequency for the ultra-high sector above 132.45/363.1 is 135.27/317.47. In an earlier post (#7) in this thread, nd5y said he could hear the controller in the Wichita Falls area on 135.27.

sooner77

Premium Subscriber
New ultra-high at McAlester

sooner77,

I don't see the attachement you are talking about ? Somebody put it up there, but I can't recall. It was just recent and I think it was profile descent.

Are you running a feed now from MLC ? LiveATC or RR ? Or is this a new feed you are planning ? It is a new feed I am planning. Getting ready next week to put up KORK with ZME feeds 125.475/316.05 ultra and 132.425/323.250 mid-high plus KLIT if I can attach to the outside antenna. Also KLRF in that case. All on liveatc. Sorry about 133.025/126.85 at KHRO. It is inside a metal building next to the RCAG. Eventually I will put a rubber duck in the window. Have to get the equipment. Many thanks to the airport manager,BTW.

I pulled up the archives from your HRO and FYV feeds from yesterday and did hear handoffs to 128.12 as well as 135.45 and 134.47. Which leads me to believe they were using 128.12 as a separate ultra-high sector (and not just as a sub for 135.45), that was between time 2100UTC - 2200UTC. I drove through MLC Sunday after Tinker Airshow because I figured that is where the controller was transmitting from. So three tiers are there now. It was inevitable due to the ultra-highs at Edna, KS and KHRO. 134.475 is a tricky one. I have heard it once in a blue moon at MLC, but the FAA tech at TXK says, for right now, it is at Cumby. Same for 126.575.. They may move them back if they get taller towers. Reception issues are involved. 134.475 is not one that is the usual type tier freq. I hear aircraft at FL400 and 260 on it, so it is different. One can go up on the Talimena Scenic Drive in OK and easily hear MLC with good clarity with a Radio Shack handheld. That's about 50 miles away, too. GPS indicated 2,200 feet on the mountain there. Excellent FSS 122.6 reception there, too, off of PGO VOR..

Appreciate the heads up on the ultra-high for OKC. I did not hear anything but maybe the controller is talking through Ardmore. The Center boundaries are right at KOKC, so I do not think that the ultra-high Fort Worth will be there. I could be wrong. Spent the night in OKC and did not hear the ultra-high at night or in the morning. 128.125 was definitely loud and clear Sunday afternoon in MLC (controller).

There is no mention of 133.90 on the ZFW sector chart. In that area, sector 35, it shows 126.30 and 128.40. 126.30 is listed in the FAA AFF data but is not in the RR database. Scroll down on RR and you will see in the blue part the 133.9.

The frequency for the ultra-high sector above 132.45/363.1 is 135.27/317.47. In an earlier post (#7) in this thread, nd5y said he could hear the controller in the Wichita Falls area on 135.27.
I never heard the controller in OKC, so Ardmore is the probable site.

sooner77

Premium Subscriber
Addendum: Since I thought the ultra-high at OKC was 125.375 instead of 135.275, I really don't know for sure where it is transmitting from. Perhaps it is at the KOKC RCAG as was done at KMLC. Just have to check when I am over there again. I just noticed there were never any ultra-high freqs around MLC and OKC as I had noticed in Arkansas: Walnut Ridge, Harrison and North Little Rock. Just figured ZFW had not opened ultra- high sectors in OK yet, but that has changed now. It was a reality in the KTUL area (118.12 ZKC) but I had not heard any new ultra high-freqs in central and SE Oklahoma.

sooner77

Premium Subscriber
12:35PM. Called three departments at KOUN airport and nobody has a scanner. Somebody in Norman/Oklahoma City save me a three hour drive and tell me whether 135.27 Fort Worth Center ultra-high is broadcasting from there or DECODing from Clinton Sherman as Fort Worth does with 132.45.

Thanks. Gee, I thought all pilots and controllers had a least one scanner. I can hear 132.45/363.1 standing outside the Norman Westheimer Terminal on a handheld.

Thanks

AirScan

Somebody in Norman/Oklahoma City save me a three hour drive and tell me whether 135.27 Fort Worth Center ultra-high is broadcasting from there

Did you see this earlier post from nd5y in this thread ?

I can hear ZFW on 133.500 and 135.275. They are located at the Wichita Falls site (or at Sheppard) and have a lot of traffic.

This also corresponds with the RR database that lists 135.275 transmitting from Wichita Falls #2 site. (The FAA AFF lists 135.275 as a low altitude frequency out of Keller).

Or are you thinking it could be transmitted from both locations, Oklahoma City and Wichita Falls ?

BMT

KMLC

Most RCAG's have a Back Up Location.
Maybe OKC is the B/U location.

BMT

sooner77

Premium Subscriber

Did you see this earlier post from nd5y in this thread ? Answer: No I did not.

This also corresponds with the RR database that lists 135.275 transmitting from Wichita Falls #2 site. (The FAA AFF lists 135.275 as a low altitude frequency out of Keller). Answer: Missed that.

Or are you thinking it could be transmitted from both locations, Oklahoma City and Wichita Falls ?
, ,Answer: I doubt it. Center boundaries meet at OKC. I hear ZKC low 128.3/291.7 clearly in OKC as well as the occ 132.45/363.1 from Fort Worth. I also noticed that ZKC low at Tinker is very clear east of the buildings east of the 18/36RWY. On the west side next to the runway I heard nothing. Yet at Will Rogers Airport it was quite clear again. Strange. There must be two sites.

Answer: Not quite sure. With the configuration change of the new ultra-high freqs, the usual FAA method is to place ultra 60 miles from the low and mid-high freqs (see Tulsa area where ultra-high 118.125 is at Edna, KS with ZKC) Same also between KFYV and KHRO. 126.1/132.55 low/high at FYV and 133.025 ultra at HRO, 60 miles to the east.. Same at SGF, KORK and so on. KORK transmits 125.475/132.42 while the low is at KHOT. Just curious as to where ZFW would place the ultra-high at OKC. They put the new one at in eastern OK at MLC unless they are transmitting from two places, but MLC is a good distance from the ZKC boundary. Wichita Falls makes sense for Clinton Sherman/OKC. BTW, use the raspberry pi furnished by Liveatc to stream those two Wichita Falls sites online plus base approach. That was a hint. Don't need the computer to stay on, just the router. I like the system. Works well and easy to install and I can listen on the I-phone.

With the Center boundaries meeting at OKC, it makes since that it would be at Wichita Falls or Gainesville or Ardmore. All I know is that I can hear 132.45/363.1 in OKC/Norman when they flip the switch from Clinton-Sherman. It is done on a frequent basis. Thanks for the heads up from Wichita Falls.

FYI, on my KFYV feed 126.1 switches from KFYV to KFSM to talk to aircraft going into Mena, AR. Same deal as MLC where they go to OKM and back.

AirScan

All I know is that I can hear 132.45/363.1 in OKC/Norman when they flip the switch from Clinton-Sherman. It is done on a frequent basis.

It's quite possible they are using more than one transmitter for this new ultra high frequency on 135.275, so who knows it could be transmitting from OKC as well ?

On that ZFW sector chart (from 2012) it actually shows two ultra high sectors, one called CZR Sector 43 from FL360 and above that sits on top of 132.450, and another called ARC Sector 23 again at FL360 and above that sits on top of 124.525. But both sectors show the same frequency 135.275/317.47. Maybe an indication of a future planned split of that ultra-high airspace into two separate sectors ?

In the sector names I'm not sure what the "CZR" and "ARC" are short for ? They don't seem to correspond to a navaid ident ?

nd5y said they can hear the controller on 135.275 in Wichita Falls but no aircraft, so I suspect the same controller is simulcasting on 124.525 at the same time. The question is do they ever split it off and use it as a decicated ultra-high sector yet ? There is a RR radio from the Dallas area scanning the high frequencies and I have not heard any handoffs to 135.275 yet.

Yes a Wichita Falls feed with a couple radios would be a nice addition (hint !).

sooner77

Premium Subscriber
Wichita Falls seems a little far for an ultra-high for aircraft transiting east/west near OKC. They usually keep it within 60 miles as I have stated with the other sites I listen to. I have been wondering for some time why there had been no ultra-high for the OKC area. MLC just started with 128.125 and I just assumed OKC would have one somewhere for the aircraft over FL400. The Turner Falls, OK RCAG just makes sense to me or ZFW could be doing the same thing as with 132.45 at Clinton-Sherman and OKC (decod). Guess I will make another trip to Norman, maybe Turner Falls and find out.

sooner77

Premium Subscriber
True. Most have backup and BUEC. Hear it in my house in Roland, OK on a handheld scanner plus they "decode" meaning that for instance they go from KFYV to KFSM to talk to aircraft at Mena, Arkansas. When the "BUEC" is utilized, it is a power surge to reach aircraft who are no longer answering. I get that a couple of times per week on 128.47 and 126.1 and particularly 269.0 in my house. Sometimes it is done to test their transmitters.

Last edited:

sooner77

Premium Subscriber
To answer Airscan's comments about 135.27 in OKC, I will monitor from Roland, OK. That's 3 car hours from OKC, but I can hear traffic on 132.45 here at the state border (ARK/OK). Anybody in Sulphur Springs or Greenville, TX hear the controller working 134.47? What about Bonham? I understand their is a feed from McKinney, TX. Perhaps this individual knows due to approximation to Bonham. 124.87 is another I hear on the handheld in Roland, OK for aircraft going into DFW, Addison and Love. Thanks for any assistance.

.....When the "BUEC" is utilized, it is a power surge to reach aircraft who are no longer answering.....

No, not a "power surge". BUEC (pronounced like Buick) stands for Back Up Emergency Communications. BUEC is the back up site when the main RCAG fails. BUECs are supposed to be checked daily with an airborn aircraft. In some cases, a hard to reach aircraft will be attempted using BUEC, as it's location may offer an advantage over the RCAG. BUEC is usually located within the sector, and very often at a VOR site or FAA Microwave Link station. Same wattage as the regular RCAG. BUEC receivers are not monitored by the controller during normal RCAG service. The controller will only hear from the BUEC site when it has been selected, and selecting BUEC effectively disconnects the RCAG. It's one or the other.

sooner77

Premium Subscriber
Buec

No, not a "power surge". BUEC (pronounced like Buick) stands for Back Up Emergency Communications. BUEC is the back up site when the main RCAG fails. BUECs are supposed to be checked daily with an airborn aircraft. In some cases, a hard to reach aircraft will be attempted using BUEC, as it's location may offer an advantage over the RCAG. BUEC is usually located within the sector, and very often at a VOR site or FAA Microwave Link station. Same wattage as the regular RCAG. BUEC receivers are not monitored by the controller during normal RCAG service. The controller will only hear from the BUEC site when it has been selected, and selecting BUEC effectively disconnects the RCAG. It's one or the other.

Answer: All I know is that 126.1/269.0 booms in when BUEC is used. Definitely a lot louder and perhaps because it is coming from a closer site like on top of an OZARK mountain nearby. It is distinctive and catches one;s attention. I have to turn the volume down. Sure sounds like a power surge but you are saying it is close proximity.

One time I was driving on I-35 from OKC to Norman and some aircraft said "Mayday" and the BUECs kicked in on several freqs on ZFW. The uniform freqs were really loud: 298.9 for example, 363.1. I never determined what actually happened to the aircraft, BTW. I did not catch the first freq which involved the emergency (the aircraft).

You are right: they will stretch the legs of certain transmitters at times using BUEC.

BTW, 135.27 at Roland has yielded a couple of transmissions but garbled by aircraft. 132.45 aircraft-only comes in better here around Fort Smith. FYI.

sooner77

Premium Subscriber
New info: Sent my wife with a scanner to Dallas on a car trip via McAlester and so on. Ultra-high 128.125 is still at MLC, 134.475, 126.575, and 124.875 could be clearly heard just outside Sherman, Texas--controller, that is. The sites are probably at Bonham and Cumby, but all three heard very well outside Sherman, TX to the south going to Dallas.

Since that is the case, the ultra-high for OKC is Wichita Falls. MLC could conceivably cover the same area we are talking about around OKC, too. Does not matter too much where they stick the ultra-highs since aircraft are above FL360.

sooner77

Premium Subscriber
KORK is up and running on liveatc now. Needs outside antenna like KHRO, which is being worked on---next week. One frequency mentioned a lot is 134.475 on KFYV, KHRO and KORK. (hand off). A guy on liveatc told me that 134.475 is now based on the RCAG at the Paris, TX airport. Anybody in Paris, Texas, hear the ZFW controller on 134.475?

AirScan

KORK is up and running on liveatc now.

Thanks for providing the feed !

I took a quick listen through the archives and noticed a handoff to Fort Worth on 133.550, this was a westbound flight at FL380 and based on the routing would put the sector in the same area as 126.575 Sector 90.

133.550 is not listed as a Fort Worth frequency in either the RR or FAA AFF databases.

That sector chart I have shows a ZFW ultra-high sector 20 sitting above 126.575/120.475 at FL350 and above but shows the frequency as 133.5, so it would appear to be a typo on the chart with the correct frequency actually being 133.55.

The associated UHF frequency listed on the chart is 315.125.

Any further reception reports from either aircraft or controllers on 133.550/315.125 appreciated.

sooner77

Premium Subscriber

Thanks for providing the feed !

I took a quick listen through the archives and noticed a handoff to Fort Worth on 133.550, this was a westbound flight at FL380 and based on the routing would put the sector in the same area as 126.575 Sector 90.

133.550 is not listed as a Fort Worth frequency in either the RR or FAA AFF databases.

That sector chart I have shows a ZFW ultra-high sector 20 sitting above 126.575/120.475 at FL350 and above but shows the frequency as 133.5, so it would appear to be a typo on the chart with the correct frequency actually being 133.55.

The associated UHF frequency listed on the chart is 315.125.

Any further reception reports from either aircraft or controllers on 133.550/315.125 appreciated.
Answer: Did not catch 133.55 when I listened. Most I hear 134.47. Ultra-highs can be fairly far away from the low and mid-highs. I do not know how far, but 60 miles is about the usual distance. All I know is that my wife told me she could hear, clearly, the controllers on 134.475, 124.87 and 126.57 basically at or near around the Sherman, TX airport. Don't know a thing about 133.55, but will look into it. Since 134.47 is more of a transitional thing, I guess 133.55 would be over 126.57. Some nice soul just needs to listen with a scanner on the Sherman airport to confirm all the frequencies....

Status
Not open for further replies.