SDS100/SDS200: knob control

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Would isopropyl alcohol, 70%, work as well?
To Inject into the encoder?
Very hard to find the part. Uniden doesn't sell it but I found the maker of the part, Tocos.
Alcohol is always a good conductor, especially when you have a corroded battery compartment from leaking batteries, before you can get in there and really clean it up, it seems isopropyl alcohol always, it's a temporary fix, because it's alcohol, it evaporates,

If you're going to make an attempt at my solution I would definitely go with contact cleaner, lubrication, WD-40, something more permanent.

Ensnared

I have a SDS100 scanner. Recently, the FUNCTION KNOB is "jumping-all-around". In the scanner, selections are being missed or hard to select. Is this a common problem with the SDS100, and can it be fixed? thank you for your time.
It can be replaced. I sent my SDS 100 in and they fixed it.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Is the knob difficult to remove or would removal damage the encoder?
Thanks,
Harry and it
Don't bother, get some WD-40 and an insulin syringe from somebody you know. Draw up the WD-40 and precisely inject into the very small space all around the control knob at the top and inject as much as you want, load it up.

If your problem is a bouncing around rotary knob that's all over the place and most difficult to control this solution will be a permanent fix. If you send it to Uniden you'll continue to have the problem.😉