Knob Enhancement

Status
Not open for further replies.

KE5MC

Premium Subscriber
I have used a 436 for a long time moving it from house to car and back as needed. I decided a couple of months back to give the 536 a try in the house.

Good choice and only thing I found lacking was the small, hard surface and closely spaced knobs to control the radio. As I recall others had a similar problem, especially in a mobile installation. Not having the hands and finger of a neurosurgeon I wanted to find a cheap and easy solution.

In my pile of surplus material for future needs/projects I found some Tygon tubing that would makes it much easier to grip and turn the knobs.

Tubing is roughly .5 inch OD and about .1 inch wall thickness. This tubing is soft like silicon tubing, but has a tacky surface. Its not so soft as to make the push function of the knobs difficult or not to work. Tubing ID was just slightly smaller than the end of the knob and with the taper of the knob it got a little snugger the further I pushed the tubing on. It might be an issue to pull it off at a later time and I will likely just razor blade it off and scrap the tubing.

I liked the end results and for me it turned out to be a good enhancement.

Mike

Last edited:

mkt853

I was hoping that this thread was about fixing the sensitivity of the big silver selection knob. That is by far the most annoying thing about these scanners. You try to turn the dial to select a system and it flips out and scrolls through like a hundred systems even though you were only turning it one click.

KE5MC

Premium Subscriber
Pinball... Thanks!:)

mkt853 -- That behavior with the silver knob does not sound like it is working correctly. I am not sure of your radio setup, but I held on a 'channel' and for me it was one click up or down took me to the next 'channel' up or down. Tells us more about radio setup.

Mike

gary123

I have seen the same issue. The knob is sensitive. I can live with it since all it takes is a gentle touch.

Status
Not open for further replies.