Know the frequency; looking for the airport!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alain

Hello All,

AirNav.com will give you the airport, then the frequencies...

Suppose you hear an aircraft on a particular frequency, but don't hear any response; is there a way to ID the airport/ATC by the frequency that the aircraft is using to communicate on?

Is there a way to search for an airport in an area, like Southern California [which has almost 300 airports!] which is using a particular frequency?

Other than going through every airport on that list, one by one, is there an easier way to search for this info?

Many thanks for taking the time to respond!

Alain

D

DaveNF2G

There is a way to identify an unknown CTAF:

1) Listen to the traffic and take note of any clues about the airport - runway numbers can be very useful.

2) Consult a map for airports that might be within radio range.

3) Check those airports on AirNav until you find one that is close enough and has the right runway configuration.

DPD1

I've also taken the PDF file of the IFR or VFR sup., and searched on the freq. It takes a while, but you can get an answer. But sometimes you can get tricked... I've heard a couple times where controllers kept giving out the same wrong freq for something. At first I thought it was a new one I didn't know about... But in the end, it really wasn't a freq for that at all. Also, there can be times when they temporarily change a freq for something you already have, for a while.

Dave
http://www.dpdproductions.com
- Custom Scanner, Aviation, MURS, GMRS, Marine & Ham Antennas -

TinEar

Use Google to search Airnav. For instance, if you hear traffic on 128.7, enter "airnav 128.7 california" (without the quotes) and it will pull up any airport or ATC in the state using that freq. Things like Ground Control and Tower freqs are common to many airports so might take a bit more sifting to find the one you want but that will come mostly from the content of the traffic you're hearing. It's the easiest way I know of to associate a freq with the user in the commercial air arena.

Alan

TinEar

I should have also mentioned that it works to some degree with military freqs too because Airnav publishes the military airport freqs - but not military operational freqs. At least you can find frequency associations for ATIS/Ground/Tower, Approach/Departure and other freqs at the military airport such as Pilot-To-Dispatch, Meteo, and Base Ops freqs using that same search protocol.

Alan

radio10-8

Excellent Question

Recently with the addition of a new antenna I have started to hear alot more air traffic, I mean alot more air traffic on freqs I never knew of or just could not hear with my previous antenna and I have wondered what airport they are coming to and from. I do use flightaware and airnav quite a bit and can id 90% of what I hear. The other day I had on 126.250 a plane that sounded like "fedex" with no numbers after it. (Maybe military?) asking for a higher altitude and different heading. I could not hear the controller, just the plane, after 10 minutes I heard another aircraft (american airlines #XX) advising the same, when I checked the web for flight status that AA flight was not there?

screenersam

I hate motrbro
Fedex has its own flights/planes. I've found that my local airport (SBY in MD) will launch a plane, then refer it to the area controller (PAX) on a different freq, who gives them altitude and passes them to the next step; this 126.25 might be your version. 126.25 might just be step 2 in a 3 or 4 stage process. skip is always possible (I presume you know him!). I broke down and got a Bearcat 898T just for mil air; I get some good stuff but still can't find operational / air-air.

Status
Not open for further replies.