Knowing The Tones

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikie333

Especially for the FD/EMT (with pagers) and scanners alike,

Who can identity the fire departments or station or trucks, from dispatch, by their tones?

For example, my pager is set for a certain tone to go alarm it, but when I 'open' it up, I can hear all 20+ departments in the area (not much traffic, large sq. miles). I know my tone and a few other departments within seconds, long before the dispatchers comes on the air.

D

DaveNF2G

No biggie, just takes practice. Listen long enough and you'll know who is transmitting and on what frequency just by the sound.

Harryjr

We had a member years ago who's dog would start to howl on our tones. The dog knew that the house siren down the street was about to go off and it hurt her ears.

To answer your question though, we have many members who can routinely identify the tones. I hit about 50%.

HarryJr.

N

nec208

The tone we have here is the same for fire in Peel,York or Toronto.

But the old Brampton fire radio had a tone for each station before they gone to 800Mhz trunked system..

scrotumola

Not only do I know all 22 of our county tones, but I can whistle most of them and open pagers.

On a slow night, I've been known to break the monotony by whistling our company's tones
-- the older, hard of hearing guys reply with 'sh*t,' and actually pry themselves out of their recliners before they realize it was only me.

mikea7531

Premium Subscriber
I can identify most tones in Somerset County, NJ, with the exception of a few fire companies in Franklin Twp. I can also tell who is dispatching (County or Local) before the warble tones at the end.

pdfdems286

my fd is dispatched by county.there are about 30 give or take a few dept's on the same dispatch fq.i can usually tell by the tone set's who's going.some of the tone set's are so close that sometime's i miss.i can also sometime's i.d. a transmiting station by the background hum or the dispatcher's voice.my wife think's i'm an idiot savant.she say's she's not impressed with me doing that anymore after 21 year's together.

hoser147

Its kinda like knowing what a unit is by a whine or background noise ever present in the radio. Kinda funny how ya just pick up on things like that............

mikie333

I hate when I'm listening to my pager on 'open' and the dept. adjacent to us gets toned, because their tone sounds EXACTLY like ours. I can't tell the difference between the two though because when mine goes off, my pager does its alarm thing. So I'm wondering if its ours or not!

Raven95150

Premium Subscriber
I used to know pretty much all of them in my county, but since switching to digital they don't send the tones over the radio anymore. They only send them out over the VHF patch so the only time I ever hear them is if I happen to be listening to the VHF channel on my 2 meter radio.

scrotumola

zz0468 said:
Do you tune pianos?
"You can tune a piano, but you can't tuna fish" << who was that? REO Speedwagon? LOL, I digress.

Truth be known, more recently when someone eggs me on to whistle a tone out, I can't keep a straight face and end up laughing.

Status
Not open for further replies.