Knowledge and wisdom needed here.......

Status
Not open for further replies.

fmurphy

Premium Subscriber
I have recently obtained a Icom W32A handheld from a friend......it has been in his grandmothers closet for years. She stashed it away when his father passed away and the son passed it on to me. The question is....... does anyone know what years this radio might have been in production? I called Icom and customer service told me they didn't have records of serial #'s before 2005.....no one there could tell what years this model was being sold....the serial # is 012XX it is near the first run by the serial #......
Any ideas? The radio is in excellent condition,,,battery needs replaced but works well on AC.
Thanks for ANY help!
Frank M

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
The w32a was very popular in the 80's so that might be close. Sorry I can't be of more help.

n9zas

hamstang

Premium Subscriber
A google search will render a lot of info about the W32A including where to obtain a replacement battery.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
According to RigPix, the IC-W32 was produced in the 1990's.

RigPix Database - Icom - IC-W32A

There's a link to the user's manual there, which might be useful.

The QST Product Review of this radio was published in July 1997.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
One of the better Icom dual band HT's, first showed up in late 1996. They made it for several years, like to say it was OOP by 2002/2003. I have an HRO catalog from Winter 2002 and it still listed in there.

Batteries are readily available on Ebay. It's a great HT with cross band full duplex, wideband RX, and is fairly solid. They also fetch insane amount of money in good shape on Ebay for some reason.

fmurphy

Premium Subscriber
Thanks .....

I appreciate all the input gang......I knew I could count on the RR forum for any info I needed. I downloaded the manual online and the copyright date shows to be 96 so I would venture to say that would prob be the earliest date unless it was an updated/newer version of manual.
I'm really looking forward to getting this thing programmed completely and throwing a new battery on it and getting the cobwebs off of it.
Thanks again
Frank
N5ZLT

Last edited:

fineshot1

The w32a was very popular in the 80's so that might be close. Sorry I can't be of more help.

n9zas

You confused the IC-32AT with the IC-W32A. I had that 32AT model and as far as I
am concerned it was one of the best HT's icom ever made. By today's standards its
a big brick but the receiver(2m & 440) on that radio was awesome and it was built
like the motorola radios of today with ruggedness.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
You confused the IC-32AT with the IC-W32A. I had that 32AT model and as far as I
am concerned it was one of the best HT's icom ever made. By today's standards its
a big brick but the receiver(2m & 440) on that radio was awesome and it was built
like the motorola radios of today with ruggedness.

Yeah, I probably did. Sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.