Knxvlle/KnxCoPubSafety Newly Discovered Talkgroups

Status
Not open for further replies.

jfhtm350

I decided to give unitrunker a try and try to monitor the Knoxville/Knox County Public Safety Motorola Type 2 trunking system for new talkgroups. Looks like it hasnt been updated within the past couple of months to say the least. Knoxville/Knox County Public Safety Trunking System, Knoxville, Tennessee - Scanner Frequencies

I am just on the fringe of being able to recieve the CC and voice channels so there could possible be errors here, but there is a couple that has way too many hits to be errors. I am looking for some people to help monitor these new talkgroups and identify them. So just let me know if you want to help and post your information here.

So anyway here are the new ones I have found and there could possibly be more on the way since I just started unitrunker last night.

ID - Hits
--------------
0 - 1hit (I assume this one is nothing)
784 - 22hits
1504 - 10hits
1600 - 1hit
5200 - 1hit
8800 - 221hits (very active)
13088 - 2hits
65536 - 3hits

What I do is create another KnoxCoPubSafety system in another bank with just these talkgroups (and a bunch of other unidentified frequencies) and no wildcards so I can scan for these whenever I want. Like I say, this system comes and goes for me here at the house, so I can really monitor the voice channels that good.

kel415

Premium Subscriber
started scanning on 700's good last night so far I picked up 16 of them with couple digital, will put them in order and listen in to try and tell who they are. Most of them are knoxville pd I can already tell that.

jfhtm350

Good deal. Need some more people to listen to them also. Voice signal comes and goes here at home, not really all that great. I can pick up the control channel with about an average of 75% decode rate but I cant really monitor them to see what they are. Did you get that file I sent you?

Updated list:
0 - 1hit (I think this is where everyone goes to log on the system or something)
784 - 22hits
1504 - 93hits
1600 - 2hits
5200 - 3hits
5296 - 1hit
5328 - 1hit
7056 - 2hits
8800 - 648hits
13088 - 2hits
14880 - 2hits
16352 - 1hit
53520 - 2hits
65536 - 9hits

Quite a few unidentified talkgroups, huh?

jfhtm350

Have you used ID Tracker III program? It will let you record whatever the scanner stops on on your computer. You have to have the usb-serial cable and a mono audio cable. It works pretty good for times like this. There are a few settings youll have to find to get started.

kel415

Premium Subscriber
Got the file ok just got to get it in use,, and never used ID tracker before I know nothing about that. But not to old to learn. Football over now and and basketball on so I go from football field to basketball court. Keeps me hopping. I know there has to be a control channel on knoxville 700's because it comes up on my 106 screen and ask me to store that freq. and I'm not doing a search just listening to the program one's I have in. I will try to send you the ones I have and see what you can come up with when I get on other computer wife got it tied up. I'm not new to pro106 but new to trying to track freqs and name them and can follow direction ok

jfhtm350

What are you calling the knoxville 700's?
ID tracker will allow you to hook up your scanner to a computer and record whatever is being said when squelch is broken, so you could hook it up and basically walk away and come back and see what you missed.

kel415

Premium Subscriber
What are you calling the knoxville 700's?
ID tracker will allow you to hook up your scanner to a computer and record whatever is being said when squelch is broken, so you could hook it up and basically walk away and come back and see what you missed.

Trying to make sure some of these are not in DB before I post them and I have not posted any in DB
I'm hearing mixed traffic on all of these anywhere from KPD to KAT buses. They were really hot during ball game saturday .Also few of them will have KPD one time then sounds like a fax data on same freq. next time then KAT buses next so guess they are shared with them all. ID tracker sounds good think I will check into it more. Where do you buy them and/or read about them? I have few more freqs. just need to seperate them,, hope these help some if not let me know what I need to be doing

jfhtm350

If you are hearing mixed traffic on those frequencies then that is a trunked system. There is nothing registered to those frequencies here: Site / Market / Frequency Query
Seems if you have stumbled upon something that is not known. I cant find anything on it anyway.
I wouldnt just submit that information. It needs to be mapped out somewhat before submitting.

Is there a PL or DC code coming up or a P25 number or a talkgroup id number or a VC number?

You need to start a new thread in Tennessee and post all the frequencies that you think are related to that system and along with what other info you have on it and maybe someone can help you figure out what it is. I tried those frequencies and I cant pick them up, so I cant really be much help except to maybe tell you what to do to map it out. If you want to map it out let me know and I will try to help you. It will probably be a time consuming thing but there are programs to help you out and if some other people help out, it wont be near as bad.

Maybe Danny knows something about it. He knows everything else. Ha

IDTracker III is free. I havent used it on a trunked system but I guess it works properly with talkgroup id's.

n4yek

Well I don't know too much about the Knoxville system, but those freqs are probably one of two things.
1) They are input freqs for an unknown 700 trunk system
or
2) They are tower to tower link freqs used by the existing 800 trunk system. (this would be my guess)

Last edited:

jfhtm350

Well I don't know too much about the Knoxville system, but those freqs are probably one of two things.
1) They are input freqs for an unknown 700 trunk system
or
2) They are tower to tower link freqs used by the existing 800 trunk system. (this would be my guess)

I would say your right about the tower to tower link. Only one way to find out. Put one scanner on the knox co public safety system and another on one of those voice channel frequencies you posted above and listen and see if they are the same thing. You may have to listen for a while because you have multiple frequencies posted and they will jump around on those frequencies and with all the talkgroups in the KCPS system you may even be lucky to have the same person on both at the same time. Let us know what you come up with.

Unitrunker says for the Knox County Pub Safety System there is 69 groups with 1443 users within those groups. That is a bunch.

jfhtm350

Kel415, those 700 frequencies must be tower links. I heard the same thing on the KCPS sytem Knoxville/Knox County Public Safety Trunking System, Knoxville, Tennessee - Scanner Frequencies and these frequencies:
Im sure there is more but those are the ones I picked up on. You do not need to program these in, just ignore the 700MHz frequencies and program in the KCPS system. It should already be in that file I sent you but not all the talkgroups are there.

kel415

Premium Subscriber
I will try to study the freqs. more and see if I can put them together with a talk group or something. Did pick up a 794.284375 if I wrote it down right last night and sounds like dispatch talking to a cab driver. I will not post any don't really know how at this time. They do not come up with any ID of any kind, what is with it making the data sound, and I think it was only on two freqs. it was doing that on. If I make a wild card on a talkgroup would it make a difference on picking up IDs or just a waste of time.Just trying to figure out how to ID them.

jfhtm350

No they do not come up with a talkgroup id or anything else. I had 2 scanners and (A) was on the KCPS system and the other (B) was programmed to search between 792.000 - 794.000Mhz. When someone talked on (A), you could pick them up on (B). Exact same thing. When they keyed off the mic, you have to hurry up and search again because they go to one of the other frequencies. That is how a trunked system works. The 700Mhz ones that you are picking up that you can tell are Knoxville are from the KCPS system. I picked up 2 or 3 signals that were digital noise. I guess you could say they sound like a fax machine or machine gun or something. Those are probably data transmissions or Motorola Turbo radios or Nexedge radios. Something you cannot decode on the scanner.

You cannot make a trunked system out of the 700mhz ones because there are no ID's coming up. Those are tower to tower links. There are multiple towers for the KCPS system and that is how each tower knows what frequency is open to send the radio user to. the 700mhz ones that are knoxville are just repeating what is said on the 800mhz ones to the other towers. I hope I explained that pretty good.

Now if there are other frequencies in the 700mhz from another site other than the KCPS system then you can try to figure out what those are if they are not listed in the database.

kel415

Premium Subscriber
thanks jfhtm350 that does explain it pretty good I have gre300 set on KPD and pro106 on also some saturday and was hearing some of what you were explaining. I also think that cab co I heard on 7xx was also talking on 8xx. I did pick up a new 7xxx. digital on p25 but have not went back and looked at it yet to make sure it is not in DB

Status
Not open for further replies.