KOA-519

Status
Not open for further replies.

ecps92

Attachments

• AZ FRN1592021.zip
    34.5 KB · Views: 92

mm

I'm showing my age and how long I have listened to Phx PD but boy I sure miss Gravel Gerty on the old Cactus Park analog FM VHF frequency, 155.700 MHz, and the KOA-519 ID.

azmedic

The last few shifts while operating on a K deck tac channel ive heard them use a different identifier than KOA519. Wish I could have caught it so I knew what it was

Sent from my SGH-T999L using Tapatalk

Kars10az

The Fire Dispatchers should not be identifying verbally on the trunked frequencies at all. They are identified digitally. However, old habits are hard to break. There is a message that goes to all the radio operators to identify KOA519, even the ones operating on 800MHz. Other than KOA519 and KWV771, there are no other callsigns in the Alarm Room. I'd certainly be interested in finding out what other callsign they might be using. If you can get that, I still have a lot of contacts in the Alarm Room and I can verify the information.

Ed

azmedic

KWV771 actually sounds like it might have been what I heard. I know there was a 7 in there for sure. Was working a 962 so background noise obviously played a part in hearing it. Its just weird because ive only heard it used recently in the last month or so. Its KOA519 98% of the time. Im back on shift on Wednesday ill keep an ear out to verify for sure

Sent from my SGH-T999L using Tapatalk

ecps92

Actually wrong. As long as the Site sends the Morse ID for the correct call sign or the FCC can trace back the call sign used, they can Verbally ID with the widely known KOA519. Major Cities/Towns do this all the time

Imagine if Boston (Mass) Police had to Verbally ID with the approx 100 different Call Signs vs the well known KCA860 over the air

Phoenix fire is breaking the law! They are transmitting from White Tanks using an invalid callsign of KOA519. Shame, shame.

cellphone

Silent key.
Premium Subscriber
The fire VHF frequencies are all simplex, and there is no morse ID since there is no repeater to transmit the morse ID automatically. This is why the dispatchers have the responsibility of voicing the callsign every hour on every frequency.

My comment about White Tanks was sarcasm, but they are technically breaking the law. :)

Last edited:

KB7MIB

What are the UHF freqs 453.4625, 453.7125, and 453.8625 associated with the KWV771 callsign used for?

I'm curious as to whether or not the old 460.575 repeater or simplex channel is still available for use? It was last used as a special event channel, IIRC. I last heard it used at PIR many years ago.

cellphone

Silent key.
Premium Subscriber
I'm curious as to whether or not the old 460.575 repeater or simplex channel is still available for use?

I have had 460.575 and 460.625 in my everyday scan list for several years and I have never heard anything. I think any activities that were previously using these freqs are now using RWC talkgroups. Since the Fire Department was using separate VHF and 700/800mhz radios, and is now moving to dual band radios, I'm guessing they do not want to have another set of UHF radios to make things even more confusing. PIR activities have all been on G Deck for several years now.

Kars10az

I worked in the Alarm Room for 30 years and I can only remember a couple occasions, early in my career, that the units switched to UHF. It was never monitored in the Alarm Room. It looks like Phoenix still holds the licenses, but I don't know who might be using them. I haven't monitored them in many years.

Ed

KB7MIB

I have had 460.575 and 460.625 in my everyday scan list for several years and I have never heard anything. I think any activities that were previously using these freqs are now using RWC talkgroups. Since the Fire Department was using separate VHF and 700/800mhz radios, and is now moving to dual band radios, I'm guessing they do not want to have another set of UHF radios to make things even more confusing. PIR activities have all been on G Deck for several years now.

460.625 is used by Southwest Ambulance with a 107.2 Hz tone. It is active regularly, and you should have been hearing activity for the past several years now.
And the last activity that I heard on 460.575 wasn't necessarily for a race although it was at PIR. I believe it was for a training exercise.

rpgaun

Premium Subscriber
Alarm is using robotic dispatching this morning. Is this permanent?

I was going to start a new thread about this but we'll keep going here. From what I heard they are running a test, using "live calls" between 0500 & 0600 this morning (8/7/14). I would assume (and you know what that does) that they are working on implementing this full time. I know several larger regional dispatch centers across the country have gone to the auto voice dispatch.

My feedback from this morning is they need to turn up the modulation. I have the car radio cranked all the way up and could not hear the voice. In the house I needed to turn the portable way up to hear the dispatch. Also, the signal, even with being strong was not full quieting like when the human does the dispatching.

KB7MIB

I was running errands after 1pm and heard one automated voice dispatch. It's been the only one I've heard.

rpgaun

Premium Subscriber
I wonder what it sounds like in a noisy fire truck....

Good question. I had a very hard time hearing it in the car. Had to turn down the other radios & turn off the AC fan. One thing that may will assist the crews in hearing is the fact they wear headsets to cut down on the background noise.

Status
Not open for further replies.