• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

KPG-111D Trouble with Com port

Status
Not open for further replies.

paramedic228

Premium Subscriber
I am having trouble with my KPG-111D software loaded on my newer laptop, running Windows 10. I don't remember ever connecting my NX-300 radio to this computer since I bought the computer. So, I am having problems when trying to get the data file to "Write Data to the Transceiver". I get a pop-up box and message telling me to "Check all connections and COM port settings.
I think that by default, the program selects COM 7 (and I don't think that I can change it).
I have a flash drive that may have the drivers required, but I am not sure what is what on the drive. I also have a mini-CD, but no way to play it on the laptop. Maybe I just need a specific driver for Windows 10? Ideas?

Vern

Premium Subscriber
On my KPG-111D (ver 5.21), I go to upper menu bar and select SETUP | COM Port. A window appears and shows available Com Ports in black - others are grayed out. Click on correct COM Port Number.

To verify which port your cable is using,
RIGHT-click on the "Windows" icon on Task Bar, then select Device Manager.
When the D/Manager opens, select the [>] icon next to Ports (COM & LPT).
Programming cables show up as "USB Serial Port (COMxx)" where the 'xx' is the cable's COM Port Number. If there is a driver problem, there's usually a yellow triangle icon indicating a problem. Right-Click to update/rollback driver.
If driver is okay, enter the COM Port Number in the KPG-111D's COM Port Setup window.

Best of luck.
Vern

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
KPG-111 will scan the available comm ports and present the active ports in the setting box.
You may need to go into the device manager on your PC and figure out which port your USB programming cable is connected to (or whatever they call it on windows 10).

If com 7 is the only option its giving you, then it thinks that is the only active comm port.

Make 100% sure you have the correct drivers installed.

And it would help us if you answered these questions:
What make/model of programming cable are you using?
What version of KPG-111 are you using? (Click on the "About KPG111" under the Help tab.

paramedic228

Premium Subscriber
On my KPG-111D (ver 5.21), I go to upper menu bar and select SETUP | COM Port. A window appears and shows available Com Ports in black - others are grayed out. Click on correct COM Port Number.

To verify which port your cable is using,
RIGHT-click on the "Windows" icon on Task Bar, then select Device Manager.
When the D/Manager opens, select the [>] icon next to Ports (COM & LPT).
Programming cables show up as "USB Serial Port (COMxx)" where the 'xx' is the cable's COM Port Number. If there is a driver problem, there's usually a yellow triangle icon indicating a problem. Right-Click to update/rollback driver.
If driver is okay, enter the COM Port Number in the KPG-111D's COM Port Setup window.

Best of luck.
Vern
1. ALL ports are greyed out.
2. In Device Manager, I am showing, in addition to the Intel(R) Active Management SOL listing, another listing, which I guess is for the cable:
PL2303HXA PHASED OUT SINCE 2012. PLEASE CONTACT YOUR SUPPLIER. When I click on Properties, it says the device is working properly. Under Port Setting and Advanced, I selected COM 7. Under Driver details, it shows Prolific Technology Inc. File Version 3.8.31.0 (Searching online resulted in that the version on the computer is the latest/best).

I still get a message that the COM port cannot be opened when I try to write to the radio.

a417

U+0000
Under Driver details, it shows Prolific Technology Inc. File Version 3.8.31.0 (Searching online resulted in that the version on the computer is the latest/best).
This is the issue when latest/best isn't the best. Prolific deprecated an entire device line of USB->Serial chips, nuking all the devices that had them while upgrading the device drivers. I had one that required me to roll the device drivers back to version 2 something and then it started working again.

Post regarding this specific issue in Microsoft Forums.

There are times that the new hotness isn't all that hot.

Vern

Premium Subscriber
PL2303HXA PHASED OUT SINCE 2012
Yep, bummer. That's a Prolific-brand serial converter chip. Find a replacement cable with a chip that can be supported by Windows-10. I use cables with FTDI-brand chips and have had excellent success. Be sure your vendor specifies FTDI in the listing as there are some low-end chips marketed as Windows-compliant that just don't always work.
If you choose to roll-back the Prolific driver to a version that'll work with your current cable, keep in mind that Win-10 does a lot of driver updates in the background and will likely update your 'roll-back version' the next time it does updates. Good luck.

paramedic228

Premium Subscriber
KPG-111 will scan the available comm ports and present the active ports in the setting box.
You may need to go into the device manager on your PC and figure out which port your USB programming cable is connected to (or whatever they call it on windows 10).

If com 7 is the only option its giving you, then it thinks that is the only active comm port.

Make 100% sure you have the correct drivers installed.

And it would help us if you answered these questions:
What make/model of programming cable are you using?
What version of KPG-111 are you using? (Click on the "About KPG111" under the Help tab.
I am not really sure about the drivers. I bought the programming cabe (RPC-K3) and it came with the software loaded on a flash drive. There is an adapter (RS232 to USB) that connects to the cable that is included. And, there is a mini-CD that contains the drivers. At some point in the past, before I bought this current computer, I believe I copied the driver files from the CD to the flash drive. That's why, I believe there is a directory on the flash drive that is named Drivers. My problem now is that the new computer does not have a CD drive, so there is no way for me to read the mini-CD. As for the contents of the Driver directory, it looks like this:
My version of the KPG-111D software is 4.80

Attachments

• kenwood_flash.png
    kenwood_flash.png
    50.3 KB · Views: 11

paramedic228

Premium Subscriber
Yep, bummer. That's a Prolific-brand serial converter chip. Find a replacement cable with a chip that can be supported by Windows-10. I use cables with FTDI-brand chips and have had excellent success. Be sure your vendor specifies FTDI in the listing as there are some low-end chips marketed as Windows-compliant that just don't always work.
If you choose to roll-back the Prolific driver to a version that'll work with your current cable, keep in mind that Win-10 does a lot of driver updates in the background and will likely update your 'roll-back version' the next time it does updates. Good luck.
Well, all is not lost. I do have my other Window 7 laptop at work and can still make it work. I was just hoping that when I had more time at home, I could figure this Windows 10 machine out, with you guys help, of course!

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Sounds like a good explanation given above.

I know it's not what you want to hear, but when programming expensive radios, there is a lot of value into using factory programming cables. I've had mixed luck with the off brand cables, some work, some don't. But sounds like there is a fix for your specific issue.

Good luck.

paramedic228

Premium Subscriber
It's not recognizing the cable.

What brand/make/model cable is it?
It is labeled RPC-K3 and is part of the kit KPG-36 that I bought from Valley Enterprises. Consists of the cable, RS232 to USB adapter, software, and drivers. However, as I am learning, since this was way prior to the Window 10 release, herein lies the root of the (driver) problems.

a417

U+0000
The problem lies in the little chip inside the RS232 to USB adaptor.

With enough perserverance you can roll that specific driver back, but windows will sneakily update it for you w/o warning. See that forum post I linked.

paramedic228

Premium Subscriber
The problem lies in the little chip inside the RS232 to USB adaptor.

With enough perserverance you can roll that specific driver back, but windows will sneakily update it for you w/o warning. See that forum post I linked.
I was able to download the updated drivers from one of the links in the forum post you linked to. The instructions were very detailed, yet easy to follow and the results were that I was able to program my radio! Thanks for the help!

rsmith7799

I am having trouble with my KPG-111D software loaded on my newer laptop, running Windows 10. I don't remember ever connecting my NX-300 radio to this computer since I bought the computer. So, I am having problems when trying to get the data file to "Write Data to the Transceiver". I get a pop-up box and message telling me to "Check all connections and COM port settings.
I think that by default, the program selects COM 7 (and I don't think that I can change it).
I have a flash drive that may have the drivers required, but I am not sure what is what on the drive. I also have a mini-CD, but no way to play it on the laptop. Maybe I just need a specific driver for Windows 10? Ideas?
I the same thing happen to a customer. Windows 10 did NOT load the USB ports. He had to reinstall W10 and then the COMM ports became available.

racingfan360

This happens to me quite often when Windows 10 update also updates the drivers. I often have to go to Device Manager>Ports and update the USB-to-Comm driver to and older version. I do keep a copy of the old drivers too.

Status
Not open for further replies.