• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

KPG-1D Tips & Tricks

Status
Not open for further replies.

ke6yjc

Premium Subscriber
I don't know if any of your know this, but I found that in the new KPG-1D v2.10 you can now open two dat files and copy / paste info between them. FINALLY! :)

Hope this helps someone out! If you have any other TIPS & TRICKS post them here would be nice.

Attachments

• 2017-02-03_065222.jpg
    2017-02-03_065222.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 442

ke6yjc

Premium Subscriber
I found that when you copy & paste channel information such as DMR channels, it will copy the majority of the information. However it will not copy / paste the Selcall on PTT information, so you do have to set this manually per channel. But it's better than nothing.

@Evans, do you think this is something we should report to kenwood?

Wackodrumr

I don't have a KPG-1D license. I'm having the dealer program my radio for me. To make things easier and the setup exactly how I want it, I was going to set up an Excel file for him to copy/paste from. I had a few questions about the software.

- What is the max character count you can enter under the Frequency Name Field with a Full Feature head (KCH-20R)?

- What does the Color Code option entail? I'm familiar with some Kenwood software but not this one.

Colton25

To answer your question about the max character count it is 14 characters, I believe it's 14 for all models. As for the color code option can you explain more about what your asking?

I don't have a KPG-1D license. I'm having the dealer program my radio for me. To make things easier and the setup exactly how I want it, I was going to set up an Excel file for him to copy/paste from. I had a few questions about the software.

- What is the max character count you can enter under the Frequency Name Field with a Full Feature head (KCH-20R)?

- What does the Color Code option entail? I'm familiar with some Kenwood software but not this one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Colton25

I don't have that column in my software but i'm doing analog only. After a quick search in the help topics this is what i could find relating to color codes. Looks like a DMR option which makes since as to why i don't see it. This says it cannot be configured if analog is set in channel type.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-02-08 at 17.06.05.jpg
    Screen Shot 2017-02-08 at 17.06.05.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 345

Wackodrumr

I don't have that column in my software but i'm doing analog only. After a quick search in the help topics this is what i could find relating to color codes. Looks like a DMR option which makes since as to why i don't see it. This says it cannot be configured if analog is set in channel type.

Gotcha. That makes sense why I'm not familiar with it too. I've only programmed analog/NXDN/P25 radios. Thanks for the info.

dapaq2

you can now open two dat files and copy / paste info between them

Now if and hopefully soon Kenwood will change the program so that it stops clearing out all the zone data when changing a zone from one system type to another. What a huge pain in the rear end to have to type everything back in just because the system type was changed. It should warn me of a possible conflict, but let me make that decision whether to wipe out or keep that data, not force wipe the data!

You mention that the program will let us copy and paste between dat files, which I am assuming is allowed because the data being copied between the dat files is probably between the same system types?, What I have experienced is that it will not let you copy and paste the data from one zone system type to another zone system type. Such as for example if you copy and paste data from a zone that is an NXDN system to a zone that is an ANALOG system or vise versa... It is the frequency data that at a minimum should be allowed to be copy and pasted over to anywhere within the file regardless of system type.

Another nice function that I would love to see added is copy and pasting of data anywhere throughout the program as well as to the computer's "clipboard" so that way data can be copy and pasted to or from a text document such as Microsoft Word or Note Pad, or to or from another dat file such as from another KPG program for the purpose of transferring frequency information without having to type it in manually!

Status
Not open for further replies.