• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

KPG 74D and windows 7?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, I'm trying to use KPG 74D software with windows 7. It installed and opened up just fine, and to connect the computer to the radio, I'm using a USB to serial adapter, which is connected to to the computer via usb and to the programming cable via serial, then on to the radio.

When I try to read the radio, It says "Can not open com port", Also will not open help or any other topics contained within the software.

I heard this program would not work with anything past windows XPS.

Any thoughts or ideas?

code3cowboy

Is your serial adapter driver working properly? Have you checked to see what the computer assigns as your com port? Is the assigned port number the one you selected in the software?

I've checked every setting I can think of, All on par, Except when I go into the communication port on the KPG 74D, It won't let me click any of the comm ports.

jim202

Not being put into the position of trying to run any radio programming software under Windows 7,
I guess I am one of the lucky ones. There have been reports all over the place about issues
with trying to run even the Motorola software under the Windows 7 operating system.

With that said, the fix is to run the Windows 7 in the XP mode. Can't help you on how, as like I
said, I have managed to stay away from this problem by staying with XP as my operating system.

Jim

Hello, I'm trying to use KPG 74D software with windows 7. It installed and opened up just fine, and to connect the computer to the radio, I'm using a USB to serial adapter, which is connected to to the computer via usb and to the programming cable via serial, then on to the radio.

When I try to read the radio, It says "Can not open com port", Also will not open help or any other topics contained within the software.

I heard this program would not work with anything past windows XPS.

Any thoughts or ideas?

Just to updatem The KPG 74D DOES work on windows 7. So I would assume that most other kenwood software would as well, Just figured I'd pass that along in case it makes a difference to anyone.

How Does it Work?
My 99D Won't...Any Instructions on How it works would be appreciated!

The only issues I had with it was it not being able to open a "com port" which was probably because I was using a USB to serial adapter, But to fix it, I simply changed the comp port settings in my computer, Which can be accesed through "Control Panel" and "Drivers and devices".

What kind of problems were you having with the software you were using? I might be able to help.

What model of kenwood are you trying to program? Band? Conventional or trunked?

btritch

The only issues I had with it was it not being able to open a "com port" which was probably because I was using a USB to serial adapter, But to fix it, I simply changed the comp port settings in my computer, Which can be accesed through "Control Panel" and "Drivers and devices".

What kind of problems were you having with the software you were using? I might be able to help.

What model of kenwood are you trying to program? Band? Conventional or trunked?

KPG 99D Software with the USB to serial adapter. Trying To Program A 7160. The program will work with my laptop easily. But I can't get it to recongnise a com port, Some said it was windows 7, Some said it was because it was a 64 bit system. But it will do everything but recongize the ports. I have to use my old desktop with XP to work.

KPG 99D Software with the USB to serial adapter. Trying To Program A 7160. The program will work with my laptop easily. But I can't get it to recongnise a com port, Some said it was windows 7, Some said it was because it was a 64 bit system. But it will do everything but recongize the ports. I have to use my old desktop with XP to work.

If it's the software you can't get to recognize the com port, that "SHOULD" be an easy fix.

In the bottom left corner of the screen (In the programming software) it should show you what com port the program will try to use, Which isn't always the same one your computer is trying to use for the cable.

All you gotta go is go to control panel, then onto devices/properties, And whil you're in this screen, Un plug, and plug back in the adapter and make sure it's plugged into the radio as well.

It should show up in the list of USB devices in the main list, and will show you what com port it's using. Also try using a different USB port at this point.

Then go back into the Kenwood software, and click "Setup/Communication port", It should give you a choice of 1, 2, 3, or 4. Just make sure when you plug the adapter back into your computer, It pops up as 1, 2, 3, or 4.

I'm 99% certain that this will work in most cases, Please be sure to let us all know.

Thayne

I know the Kenwood software doesn't like some of the USB-Serial adaptors, I had a Belkin that I noticed that with. The KCT-53 one that kenwood will sell you for $50+ is actually made by Aten, I bought several for less than $25. It is at the shop, so I can get the model # later but it looks exactly like the kenwood. Kenwood tech support did say you need to buy theirs--

I already had a USB to serial, Which I connected to the "Kenwood" connector I got on ebay for like $25 so all in all it works really well.

I'm just glad that windows 7 will allow the KPG software to work.

I'd be interested to see how many people are using windows 7 with kenwood, and various other radio programming software.

Awesome, I look forward to hearing about that. Now I have to figure out how to set up the fire tone out on my TK 3140. I've got the A tone and B tones set correctly, But the radio doesn't alert when tones arte recieved on a channel that it set to "2tone1" or any of the other 2 tone setups I have programmed in the optional features section.

Any thoughts?

btritch

Awesome, I look forward to hearing about that. Now I have to figure out how to set up the fire tone out on my TK 3140. I've got the A tone and B tones set correctly, But the radio doesn't alert when tones arte recieved on a channel that it set to "2tone1" or any of the other 2 tone setups I have programmed in the optional features section.

Any thoughts?

I've got a couple of fire tones to put in my 7160 too. I have no idea how do them, They're motorola long tones. I'll try to figure that out and maybe yours will be similar so we'll see how that goes.. I'm not sure it will recieve them, It may just be to page... That's what I've heard, I'm gonna try to figure that out myself. If I do I'll be sure let you know on that too.

I've got a couple of fire tones to put in my 7160 too. I have no idea how do them, They're motorola long tones. I'll try to figure that out and maybe yours will be similar so we'll see how that goes.. I'm not sure it will recieve them, It may just be to page... That's what I've heard, I'm gonna try to figure that out myself. If I do I'll be sure let you know on that too.

It's in the optional features as "2tone1" "2tone2" etc. in the KPG74D, It allows different decoder formats - Group, Individual and whatnot.

I know I am doing something wrong, Because the same tones that worked for my minitor III, Will not work for this.

I'm stumped.

Alarmguy

Former Alarm Guy, turned Radio guy
Premium Subscriber

When you say long tones, I'm thinking you mean group call tones? I have an FD next to me that uses those. They do it with 8 secs. of Tone B. Just program Tone B for Long if they are using B as the long tone.

code3cowboy

Ill put it together for you if you send me your dat file and your pager tones.

code3cowboy

It's in the optional features as "2tone1" "2tone2" etc. in the KPG74D, It allows different decoder formats - Group, Individual and whatnot.

I know I am doing something wrong, Because the same tones that worked for my minitor III, Will not work for this.

I'm stumped.

You may be using short tones. The kenwood really likes the quick call 2 style of one second three seconds. Some of the setups (riverside county fire) use extremely short tones that just do not bode well with the kenwood.

What is your paging sequence like?

btritch

I'm using kpg 99d and we use long tones, one is 1185.2 and the other I'm not sure, I'll have to find out. Can these be put in the kenwod 7160 with kpg 99d software?

code3cowboy

I'm using kpg 99d and we use long tones, one is 1185.2 and the other I'm not sure, I'll have to find out. Can these be put in the kenwod 7160 with kpg 99d software?

Yes, with the 160 mobiles you can program the length of the tones which comes in quite handy.

Status
Not open for further replies.