• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

KPG-D1N License and Radio Firmware Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

W6HMS

I apologize if this has been covered elsewhere, but I've been searching and I can't seem to find a clear answer. Roughly three years ago, I purchased an NX-5200K3 along with the KPG-D1N programming software for amateur radio use. About a year ago I purchased an NX-5700K, and at the time I needed to update the programming software so I could read/write to the newer radio. I installed updated software and didn't have any problems.

I've recently procured an NX-5800K2 that I plan to use in a multi-deck configuration (5ABMM), but yet again I can't read this new radio so I need to update my radio software. I contacted my local Kenwood dealer and asked about getting updated software, and he mentioned making sure I had the wideband version. It was my understanding the wideband operation is based on the license key, not the actual KPG-D1N software itself. Is this the case? I checked my License Management Client and it listed my M-Code as "K" and the Description as "Dealer". Also, I looked at the radio files I have and it looks like I can still set amateur frequencies for 25kHz. Is there something else I should be looking for? How can I tell if I have the ability to program my radios for wideband? In case it matters, I'm currently using version 2.60 of the KPG-D1N software.

Also, I'd like to update the firmware on my three radios. I know the mobiles will at least need to be the same if I want to use a multi-deck configuration. My portable is version K 1.67.00 and my mobile is version K 2.50.00. Should I just install the latest version of the firmware on all my radios? Any recommendations about that?

I appreciate any help you all might be able to provide, and I apologize if this has been covered elsewhere.

Regards,
Trace, W6HMS

bondo_06092

Premium Subscriber
I believe the wideband is a licence you purchase separately. It is not tied into the software itself. I'm sure you'll get more informed responses from more qualified individuals. Firmware is easy to instal and I do it regularly, probably not necessary but I do it anyway. From what I understand most firmware updates are for DMR and such. Not sure why you wouldn't be able to read your deck though.

AJ1L

Premium Subscriber
You need KPG-D1N W to be able to enter wideband frequencies on the 440 MHz ham band. It's not necessary for VHF, and it's tied to the software not the radio.

W6HMS

You need KPG-D1N W to be able to enter wideband frequencies on the 440 MHz ham band. It's not necessary for VHF, and it's tied to the software not the radio.

AJ1L,

Gotcha. So if I understand correctly, I need to specify KPG-D1N W software. Would you happen to know if I need to purchase a new license key for this to work? Also, does the software package include updated versions of the KFL and LMC applications? I'm hoping whatever I need is included in a version 4.20 installation package.

On that note, are you aware of any online vendors I could procure/purchase the software or license upgrades I need, as well as the firmware for the NX-5000 series radios? The local vendor I'm working with is more familiar with Motorola (as am I). I don't want to miss anything. Unfortunately, I can't just download what I need from a customer portal... unless Kenwood has an option for that now.

Thanks again for the help!

KK6ZTE

Premium Subscriber
Yes, you'll need to purchase a new key. Ask for the W-License Request Form. The key is the same price as a K license.

The V4.2 install package will update KFL and LMC. The only separate file is the firmware.

It WILL take two weeks to process. It sucks.

W6HMS

Yes, you'll need to purchase a new key. Ask for the W-License Request Form. The key is the same price as a K license.

The V4.2 install package will update KFL and LMC. The only separate file is the firmware.

It WILL take two weeks to process. It sucks.

Will do. Thanks! I'll shoot my vendor an email and ask them to start the process.

KK6ZTE

Premium Subscriber
There’s been a lot of bug fixes since your firmware versions. If you can’t get the files tomorrow send me a note and I’ll send you Dropbox link

W6HMS

There’s been a lot of bug fixes since your firmware versions. If you can’t get the files tomorrow send me a note and I’ll send you Dropbox link

KK6ZTE,

Thanks! I just sent my vendor an email asking for the W-License Request Form so I can get the process started. I'm hoping they know what that is and can share a copy. Once I have the new software package I should be in a better position to update the firmware. I'll let you know if I'm not able to get the firmware through the vendor.

KM4TPY

i have a KFL software and a local dealer that i deal with and have talked with them but was unsure of my question, if i have version 4.21 software and 4.21 radio firmware. If i upgrade my radio to the newest radio firmware to say version 4.22 or 4.24 will i need a new software or just run my software and reread my configuration?

Status
Not open for further replies.