• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

KSC-17 and KSC-18 Difference

Status
Not open for further replies.

pcaddict

I am a new Reserve for our local county Sheriff and we use TK-250(G) radios. I have one on loan(minus the charger) and don't want to do anything to ruin it so I bought some Kenwood chargers and a remote mic off of eBay instead of OEM. I know that the KSC-18 is a rapid charger and the KSC-17 is a standard charger. However, I have a few questions:

1. What is the difference in charging time between the KSC-17 and KSC-18? I bought a new KSC-18 off of eBay and the instructions indicate about 2 hours for a KNB-12A battery.

2. I just bought a used KSC-17 off of eBay because the KSC-18 seems to make the battery awful warm when it charges. I don't want to ruin the battery which is why I also bought the KSC-17 but still want the ability to quick charge if necessary. I am just curious if a slower charge will make any difference and if the KSC-17 has any kind of trickle charge feature. I am afraid to leave the radio on the KSC-18 due to the warmth issue.

3. Will the KSC-17 charge the KNB-12A battery or did I just waste my money? I am pretty sure it will but I would like confirmation from someone who knows more than I do.

4. Does anyone know where I can get a user's manual for the KSC-17? I've looked around on the Internet but haven't had much success.

Thanks in advance.

vorndamr

Batteries and Chargers

Go to this site for charger information: New Page 0

Usually when a battery gets to warm from charging\, there is something wrong with the battery. You batteries may need to be refreshed. If you don't have a special charger to do that then run the battery completely down ... down dead like. Then charge it at a regular rate.

Charging time differences rely upon the battery. A rapid charger starts with the rapid charge until it senses that it needs to switch over to a trickle charge which is what your standard charger is. Generally speaking 10 to 12 hours is a safe charging time for any battery for two-way radios.

A Rapid charger will almost always cause the battery to heat up at first. It also decreases the life of the battery unless it is Lithium-ion. And then you need a whole different charger. Next time you buy a charger look at the KSC-20. It charges both Ni-Cad and N-Mih.

Manuals for charges are what you get in the box. Very few service manuals for charges. Rod

pcaddict

Go to this site for charger information: New Page 0

Thanks for the reply. I actually stumbled across that site yesterday when I was searching for KSC-17 and KNB-12A. I like the spreadsheet and it definitely answered my question.

Usually when a battery gets to warm from charging\, there is something wrong with the battery. You batteries may need to be refreshed. If you don't have a special charger to do that then run the battery completely down ... down dead like. Then charge it at a regular rate.

Charging time differences rely upon the battery. A rapid charger starts with the rapid charge until it senses that it needs to switch over to a trickle charge which is what your standard charger is. Generally speaking 10 to 12 hours is a safe charging time for any battery for two-way radios.

A Rapid charger will almost always cause the battery to heat up at first. It also decreases the life of the battery unless it is Lithium-ion. And then you need a whole different charger. Next time you buy a charger look at the KSC-20. It charges both Ni-Cad and N-Mih.

Manuals for charges are what you get in the box. Very few service manuals for charges. Rod

I will do as you suggested, run it completely down and then put it on the KSC-17 for what I hope will be a long charge. Thanks again for the info.

Status
Not open for further replies.