K9ZV

Premium Subscriber
I noticed a few weeks ago, my reception of KHP is garbled on my outdoor antenna. But is perfect with an indoor mag mount in my basement. Are we now simulcasting in the Salina area? I'm also hearing Ellsworth, Mitchell and Lincoln counties P25 on the basement antenna at full strength.

Redneck0410

I noticed a few weeks ago, my reception of KHP is garbled on my outdoor antenna. But is perfect with an indoor mag mount in my basement. Are we now simulcasting in the Salina area? I'm also hearing Ellsworth, Mitchell and Lincoln counties P25 on the basement antenna at full strength.
Depending on what scanner you're using, it is difficult to answer your question with any degree of certainty as there are many variables to consider, such as distance from the tower, obstructions between your antenna and the tower, etc. KHP does simulcast, to a degree, on one of the Saline County channels (I can't remember which one right off the top of my head). One thing you may try, if you are able, is to enable your attenuator and see if that helps your reception on your outdoor antenna. It's possible the signal is so strong it is overloading the front end of your scanner.

K9ZV

Premium Subscriber
Depending on what scanner you're using, it is difficult to answer your question with any degree of certainty as there are many variables to consider, such as distance from the tower, obstructions between your antenna and the tower, etc. KHP does simulcast, to a degree, on one of the Saline County channels (I can't remember which one right off the top of my head). One thing you may try, if you are able, is to enable your attenuator and see if that helps your reception on your outdoor antenna. It's possible the signal is so strong it is overloading the front end of your scanner.
I'm using a Whistler TRX-1. Using the attenuator did fix the problem. But after a couple of weeks, it's back to normal. Full signal on either antenna with no garble and no attenuation. They must have changed something.

bctrainers

Interesting! I wonder if those towers are live as of today.

On March 3rd, I drove past the tower being installed on the NE side of Hillsdale Lake and got this picture. And yes, there were five or so folks working, with two on the tower in this picture.
PXL_20210303_211331990.jpg

I may be able to receive this particular site here in southern JoCo.

mattwillson

Conducting radio testing on TG 2027 & 2065 around Kingman county, sounds like south cow is setup somewhere in the area.

gavinman

I searched the forum but can't find an answer. I'm trying to program a new SDS100.
I have it working and am listening to Leavenworth County and KHP but I only have the Leavenworth and KHP Turnpike and Troop A (Olathe) tower frequencies. The frequencies are duplicated three times under each favorite. I try to clean it up but it takes forever to delete each county I don't need. I thought I could go in through sentinel and clean it up easily but it adds everything when I just want Troop A. Do I have to go in and delete all the other frequencies manually.

fire512

Premium Subscriber
I downloaded in cvs. format, deleted all the duplicate freqs and then loaded it in my PRO106. The only problem with the 106 is it only allows so many control channels per system.

blake23

fuzzmanks

I was told this week that due to Federal and State grants, that money is available to encrypt law enforement talk groups on KSICS which includes equipment purchases needed to complete the encryption. In fact I was told that it will be required if you use the grant. Does anyone of information on this matter? Thanks.

nosig55

I was told this week that due to Federal and State grants, that money is available to encrypt law enforement talk groups on KSICS which includes equipment purchases needed to complete the encryption. In fact I was told that it will be required if you use the grant. Does anyone of information on this matter? Thanks.
Leavenworth KS Police reported on July 14, 2022 People who listen to police scanners soon will be unable to follow the radio communications of the Leavenworth Police Department. The Police Department is purchasing software and equipment to encrypt police communications.
I can't post the whole article because you need to pay to see it, but it stated there was money available to encrypt.

KAA951

Premium Subscriber

My guess is that you are hearing agencies that want to upgrade radios with the Homeland Security grants being told they can no longer use proprietary encryption, such as the ADP software encryption Motorola regularly “threw in” when people bought radios for little or no additional charge. This was a simple marketing ploy, at the time ADP was proprietary and only available on Motorola products. When agencies wanted to add radios, they had to buy more Motorolas if they wanted to use ADP.

in 2017, DHS finally acted and adopted a standard for encryption (basically AES) so that agencies would be able to communicate encrypted with a higher level of security and using an open standard that any manufacturer could use.

The downside of this is, as we are nearing end of service life on the P-25 radios purchased through DHS grants, agencies are finding out that, if they want to continue to use encryption, they will have to purchase expensive AES upgrades to their radios. I do not foresee this causing any more agencies to adopt encryption and, potentially, we could see some agencies back away from using encryption if it is no longer a free feature of their radio.