KSICS encryption

Status
Not open for further replies.

joeuser

The Wretched
Anyone else confirm they have the ability to run encryption? I monitored a either Ellis county law unit or a Fish & game unit (Originally I had it tied to Ellis County Law Dispatch) that was operating up in Mitchell county along with another Fish & Game that was operating in the clear. They were using REGION D Law Enforcement Dispatch (1609). It was weird because there was also a unit I had tied to Phillips county involved and they all three used EVENT 1A (1603). In the clear traffic reports as Service 4, this was coming up Service P4 (Private? Protected?) However, of all the traffic I was only seeing a small fraction going across my SDR system. Sometimes I get false reporting of encryption from whatever causes glitches. That one Fish & Game unit was always in the clear & always on the tower. The other very rarely... Strange.

joeuser

The Wretched
Is this a $ thing (per agency) or is it taking time to get installed / upgraded through the system? Wondering if basically everyone will have it...

mancow

Database Admin
$ per agency. The system is basically transparent. An agency can purchase the equipment capable of it or not.

KAA951

Premium Subscriber
Is this a $ thing (per agency) or is it taking time to get installed / upgraded through the system? Wondering if basically everyone will have it...

The ADP encryption is a low-end Motorola proprietary software encryption they throw into their radios - I have heard costs of $5 to $10 per radios- or in other cases Motorola throwing it in for free. Ingenious actually from a marketing standpoint- since it is proprietary, only their radio can have it.

Therefore, you are locked into buying all your radio from Motorola and in the future, if you decide to upgrade you either have to stay with Motorola, upgrade to an expensive (but open source) encryption such as DES or AES that multiple manufacturers can provide, dump encryption all together or replace all of your radio equipment.

As far as KSICS- most of the radios that Motorola has sold on the system include ADP. As a result, it is being widely used (KHP, KDWP etc). Units that need real encryption (such as tactical teams) usually use the better, more expensive encryptions. Federal agencies are banned from using ADP- they have been using DES and are moving all their systems to AES.

balibago

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Motorola may be ingenious but they are a mortal enemy to this hobby. I have a feeling they are some people who know how to hack this but are afraid to reveal it to the general public.

balibago

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
You know that if it's possible to do: it's going on. Let's face it, it's illegal to cook methamphetamine from Sudafed tablets yet it goes on all the time. It's a little less illegal to defeat that ADP but apparently some people desire to keep the secret to themselves.

joeuser

The Wretched
The ADP encryption is a low-end Motorola proprietary software encryption they throw into their radios - I have heard costs of $5 to $10 per radios- or in other cases Motorola throwing it in for free. Ingenious actually from a marketing standpoint- since it is proprietary, only their radio can have it.

Therefore, you are locked into buying all your radio from Motorola and in the future, if you decide to upgrade you either have to stay with Motorola, upgrade to an expensive (but open source) encryption such as DES or AES that multiple manufacturers can provide, dump encryption all together or replace all of your radio equipment.

As far as KSICS- most of the radios that Motorola has sold on the system include ADP. As a result, it is being widely used (KHP, KDWP etc). Units that need real encryption (such as tactical teams) usually use the better, more expensive encryptions. Federal agencies are banned from using ADP- they have been using DES and are moving all their systems to AES.

Appreciate that insight, it is appreciated.

You know that if it's possible to do: it's going on. Let's face it, it's illegal to cook methamphetamine from Sudafed tablets yet it goes on all the time. It's a little less illegal to defeat that ADP but apparently some people desire to keep the secret to themselves.

Too many secrets...

Motorola may be ingenious but they are a mortal enemy to this hobby. I have a feeling they are some people who know how to hack this but are afraid to reveal it to the general public.

OP25

Status
Not open for further replies.