KSICS Open/Closed mode

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gadgetman728

Premium Subscriber
I've loaded the KSICS data in my Pro-96 and am running it under the MO mode. I have 2 questions - can I utilize the open closed setting? Second, I've loaded all the towers I'm ever near, and I'm leaving one empty bank between towers. Does this blank channel need to be anything other than 0.0000?

DickH

I've loaded the KSICS data in my Pro-96 and am running it under the MO mode. I have 2 questions - can I utilize the open closed setting? Second, I've loaded all the towers I'm ever near, and I'm leaving one empty bank between towers. Does this blank channel need to be anything other than 0.0000?

It is explained on page 87 in the manual.
OPEN mode lets you hear all active Talk Groups.
CLOSED mode lets you hear only the Talk Groups YOU program into the sub-banks.

You don't need a blank channel between towers.

W4EMS

Premium Subscriber
I have found it best to have one conventional frequency between different systems in same bank. Can't say it is required but the rig seems to lock in the first CC it finds and "needs" the break to reset and see the second CC for the different system.

As for open/closed that should not affect anything other than hearing TG you have not entered if you are Open. If the system has a lot of public works or utilities the open mode can get pretty busy and you may miss other traffic on the public service groups. It is easy to toggle and you can find TG's that aren't identified.
While not specific to your setting hope this helps.
You may want to move this to the respective state forum where the "locals" can help.

Gadgetman728

Premium Subscriber
Thankks for the replies

DickH - I'm aware of how open closed mode works, I was wondering if it worked within the APCO-25 system. I found out after my drive, I was getting talk from unprogrammed talk groups, I will close these banks today. Thanks for the reply though.

doctree2 - I am the "local" - there are only a couple of people in wichita that have kept up with the scanner scene. We have provoded ALL the programming available to Radio Shacks in the area. RS employees are such inept jerks I don't even give them my programming anymore.
This condemnation of Radio Shack in general, excludes Mark in Derby, a privately owned RS franchise. He has a great store with excellent help in the Ham & scanner world. I have made a new Pro-96 edit which I'll be giving to him next time I get to Derby.

Update - I went driving around Wichita yesterday with my pro-96 on Digital freqs. only - I was hitting the Wichita tower until I headed west - or home, and I picked up the Bennington tower. whether or not it's right, I have a blank channel with 0.0000 freq. loaded in it, this may or may not have helped jump to that tower when I got in range. I'll leave it this way until I head to Salina later this week and see if it hops towers as I drive.

Edit - I guess the APCO-25 question was stupid - Any trunked system has talk groups and talk groups can be open or closed., nuff said, thanks for all replies.

Last edited:

Gadgetman728

Premium Subscriber
I have now programmed my 2096 WITHOUT empty channels between, and left the blank spots on my 96. I'll be heading North tomorrow with both scanners running, and will report any significant findings. I should hit at least 3 different towers along the way and it will be interesting to see if one hits faster than the other.

Found sticky about this and will discontinue posting about this, unless I find something new.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.