KSICS Western Kansas coverage I-70

Status
Not open for further replies.

Freqed

I'm just a listener
Premium Subscriber
I just go back from a trip thru WK on I-70 and I had the whole KSICS system (sites) progammed in and set to GPS, on the way out of state (west) I noticed several holes in the coverage and looked at my GPS settings before coming back and also the site map here on RR. I made a range adjustment for the EDSON site adding 10 miles but that didn't help. I lost any system coverage at the 61 mm and then got it back with the Quinter site @ the 89 mm then there was another blank area between the Hays and Salina sites. Question is are there some new sites that aren't listed? I don't think KHP is having a loss of coverage issue in this area. Maybe I just missed something when I set this up but I looked at it before I returned trying to find something out of order, I just got back last night and will be polling the scanner to see if anything is out of whack later but for now any ideas?
Thanks

Last edited:

KAA951

Premium Subscriber
Commercial receiver vs scanner

I would hazard to guess that this is most likely due to differences in sensitivity between the commercial grade transceivers used by KHP and our hobbiest scanner receivers. Also, remember that their receivers are constantly sampling and using the strongest signal- it may use one tower on the way up a hill and another on the other side with nothing to do with distance from the site.

Freqed

I'm just a listener
Premium Subscriber
After I polled the radio and looked at the info the GPS settings for several sites was corrupt, with sites that would have filled the gaps in the area I mentioned not being able to turn "on" due to the damaged info. Not sure where to lay blame on that but it would have to be somewhere between the RR download to ARC or the download to the scanner from ARC. I will have to look at the file I created in ARC to see if it matches what was pulled from the radio. As far as signal strength strength goes I noticed it was low on the sites I tried to expand by adding distance to the GPS settings, but knew a 30 mile gap was more than SS.

nec911

I would hazard to guess that this is most likely due to differences in sensitivity between the commercial grade transceivers used by KHP and our hobbiest scanner receivers. Also, remember that their receivers are constantly sampling and using the strongest signal- it may use one tower on the way up a hill and another on the other side with nothing to do with distance from the site.

What KAA951 is true and also you have to remember that the system was built with Mobiles in mind and not portables radios. I understand was KAA951 said about the commercial vs the hobbiest so I also run a mobile scanner and portable to test it and I carry both mobiles and portable radios in my car.

In going from KCK to the west state line on I70, there are nine areas where my portable does not pick up. There are only two in that whole stretch where the mobile does not pick up a signal. It was consistent for both the radios and scanners at the same time (with in 20 seconds).

From KCK to Topeka, I do not lose anything on portable or mobile radio on the KTA at all. Good signal on all equipment
From MP345 to MP341 portable no coverage
From MP324 to MP323 portable no coverage
From MP318 to MP316 portable no coverage - mobile no coverage
MP 314 portable no coverage
From MP238 to MP237 portable no coverage
From MP226 to MP225 portable no coverage - mobile no coverage
MP206 portable no coverage
MP105 to MP104 portable no coverage
MP91 portable no coverage

I know in looking at the maps available, there are some places where it is more than 30 miles away from the towers to Interstate 70.

Status
Not open for further replies.