KSICS Western Kansas

Status
Not open for further replies.

dgruver911

Made a trip to Coldwater today and heard a lot of traffic on 2225 which shows as Finney County SO on the Wilmore and Fellsburg towers. On a previous trip I heard Fire traffic from Garden City as well. I also heard a radio tech doing some testing on talkgroup 207 which as of yet is unidentified. Due to the way I have my search systems set up I can't tell you what tower it was on exactly but it was in the Kinsley/Greensburg area.

The bad news in my GRE PSR500 seems to have suddenly gotten VERY deaf on VHF. I can hear the digital 800 stuff all over the place, but any VHF more than 10-12 miles from the repeater gets noisy then disappears altogether within a mile or 2 after that :(

n0lqt

Hey Don,

I've got the RS Pro-106 (same radio, different case) and I've noticed the same thing on the HV County VHF-hi channels. The S-meter is showing almost full scale (3 and 4 bars), but the audio the pits. If I pull the flex antenna (RS 800 tuned 20-283) and plug into the magnetic mount on the truck, it comes in just fine. If I plug it into the high antenna at home (87 feet), the static comes back unless I turn on the attenuator. Then it sounds fine again. I tried a different flex antenna and had the same problems. My only thought was that the 106/500's must have a fairly narrow AGC circuit on the VHF-hi side. I think there is a way to change the AGC by individual channel, but I haven't looked it up in the manual yet.

Conversely, my Pro-197, which uses the same software and almost identical circuitry to the Pro-106, doesn't seem to afflicted with this problem.....

dgruver911

I also have a Pro-197, and use ARC500 to program them both. Truthfully, the 197 is also weaker on VHF than the 780 I still have sitting right under it next to me here. I have it running off a Scantenna 30 ft up and Hutch is MUCH weaker on the 197. Both do seem to pull in weather channels just fine, but 15x.xxx sucks on the GRE and 197..

n0lqt

Try turning the Attenuator ON for each of those local channels. I know it seems counter-intuitive, but I really think the VHF-AGC on the GRE-500/600-Pro-106/197 is just a bit too touchy and ends up being too narrow. I do that on my Pro-106 when it is hooked to an outside antenna and it clears the audio right up on HV CO channels 1, 2, & 3.

rankin39

The recent GRE radios are all very susceptible to overloading and desense from f.m. broadcast transmitters operating in the 88-108 MHz. band. At my location they virtually ruin high band reception except for the 1000 watt weather service transmitters. The ATTenuator cures it "sort of", but a better solution is an f.m. trap installed in the antenna line just at the back of the set. Scannermaster sells a good one and Radio Shack used to sell one. TV channels 2 through 6 can also overload the GRE scanners, but there are very few of them left since they went digital and moved to u.h.f. frequencies. Some sort of f.m. broadcast filter is a must for GRE/Radio Shack scanners.

Bob, WoNXN

SGNL1

On another topic u seem to be the smartest one on here, that ive found anyway. Can u tell me what tower reno county is using now?

n0lqt

There's been a lot of talk about that on the KSICS sticky thread. Pro96Comm shows them most frequently on the Partridge (T-115) and Lyons (T-117) towers. I have also seen some of the Radio IDs popping up on the Preston (T-116) and Wichita (T-113) towers occasionally. Depending where you are, I would try the Partridge tower first......

Status
Not open for further replies.