KSIS BCD996T File

Status
Not open for further replies.

mam1081

Feed Provider
If I may offer a suggestion...

I think I would rather have the radius of your sites at 20 miles. 10 miles just doesn't seem to cover a lot of area. I've attached a picture illustrating what I'm talking about. The red (or pink) circles within the blue circles are 10 mile radius. The blue circles are 20 miles.

Other than that, it looks great. I was considering doing that system soon - this helps me out a lot. If you need any south (OK & TX), let me know. I'm thinking about working on AWIN soon too....

Attachments

• KSIS.jpg
    KSIS.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 216

Thunderbolt

Global Database Administrator
According to the FCC Database, the vast majority of the KSIS towers are 122 meters tall, but a few of them are at 83-92 meters. On average a towers that is 122 meters tall, will cover most of the entire county that it’s located in. Moreover, since most of Kansas is flat, this means the signal from the tower would penetrate further than if the area was hilly or mountainous.

Subsequently, I would extend the red circles to 15-20 miles, and the blue areas up to 30 miles. This is much more reasonable and since the mobile units are using gain antennas, this would be a more realistic representation from the tallest towers.

73's

Ron

mam1081

Feed Provider
The red and blue circles are just put on there to compare if you put your site range at 10 miles OR at 20 miles on the 996. It is not meant at all to show coverage. When I program my 996, I don't try to cover where the towers cover, I try to get un-interupted coverage down all major roads (that I might be on).

mancow

Database Admin
From studying the map I can say that as far as the Waverly, Lynn, and Miami towers go it looks to be exactly right on. The areas where they overlap is exactly where I get the best reception of all three. I think it's probably as close to perfect as you could get.

soncorn

I just chose 10 miles because that was what seems to work best for me on the STARCOM21 system in Illinois. I happen to be travelling through Kansas in a couple of weeks on my way out to CO and figured I would get my scanner set up for the new KSIS system. If 20 miles is better then I can make a modification to the file. I just hate when I have the scanner scanning several sites on the same system at the same time.

Is this map indicative of what the final spacing between the towers will be?

KAA951

Premium Subscriber
soncorn said:
I happen to be travelling through Kansas in a couple of weeks on my way out to CO and figured I would get my scanner set up for the new KSIS system.

Just FYI only the sites south of I-35 are active KSIS digital trunking towers right now. The rest of those on your map are still conventional analog towers (in the case of Topeka / Shawnee County it is a 15 freq. Motorola Type II analog trunking system). The rest of the KHP system as you travel across the state can easily be monitored by programming in the KHP analog channels (and I would add the state "EMS" channels as these are actually used by the Troopers as a Car to Car channel in 90% of the state- the only EMS tower I have acually heard used by EMS is Lawrence).

Thunderbolt

Global Database Administrator
TTFD238 said:
FYI- Actually most of Kansas is not "flat"...

http://academic.emporia.edu/aberjame/field/flint/flint.htm

The "High Plains" area of the map is the famous "flat" area...

Very interesting! The Glaciated Region probably resembles my state's geology that was formed as a result of the last Ice Age. Likewise, the area around the Flint Hills looks inviting for anyone to appreciate it's natural features. Conversely, radio waves in the 800 MHz band, do tend to be more [SIZE=-1]line-of-sight, and would have a harder time penetrating the low-lying areas.

This is why many of the towers on the Michigan statewide 800 MHz TRS, are over 155 meters in many areas. They are easy to spot at great distances, which is why they went that high, in order to promote excellent coverage throughout the state. Nevertheless, I would love to have a tower like that for all my antennas. I could hear signals from way off in the distance.[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]

Two of my professors were from Kansas and they said the state was predominately flat, but they lived out on the High Plains, before migrating eastward to the Great Lakes region. One of them wanted to get away from all of the terrible storms, and the other came as a result of a job opening.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]
73's

Ron[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]
[/SIZE]

soncorn

TTFD238 said:
Just FYI only the sites south of I-35 are active KSIS digital trunking towers right now. The rest of those on your map are still conventional analog towers (in the case of Topeka / Shawnee County it is a 15 freq. Motorola Type II analog trunking system). The rest of the KHP system as you travel across the state can easily be monitored by programming in the KHP analog channels (and I would add the state "EMS" channels as these are actually used by the Troopers as a Car to Car channel in 90% of the state- the only EMS tower I have acually heard used by EMS is Lawrence).

Already have the KHP conventional programmed in. (See attached)

I still need to see about additional frequencies.

I broke up Missouri conventional systems by county. With each county being a system with the GPS coordinates and radius. I may do that along I-70 in Kansas since that is the route I will be taking.

I will also check out the Motorola Type II system. Do you happen to already have a 996 file for that?

Last edited:

KAA951

Premium Subscriber
Sorry- I don't have a 996 file for the Topeka/Shawnee County system.

Status
Not open for further replies.