KSIS Update

Status
Not open for further replies.

compubandit

I don't know if anyone else noticed, but Ron (Thunderbolt) has updated the KSIS system. I guess I will sit down tonight and update the 2096 and the 996T. Thanks for staying on top of things Ron!

Thunderbolt

Global Database Administrator
compubandit said:
I don't know if anyone else noticed, but Ron (Thunderbolt) has updated the KSIS system. I guess I will sit down tonight and update the 2096 and the 996T. Thanks for staying on top of things Ron!

You're welcome! :) I suspect there are more updates to come. Apparently, KDOT and KHP are adding more channel pairs to help with increased channel loading. I wonder if they plan on inviting more users to join the system at the city and county levels? Likewise, I look for some real changes to start taking place once the Rebanding process starts.

73's

Ron

rick521

Thanks

Thunderbolt said:
You're welcome! :) I suspect there are more updates to come. Apparently, KDOT and KHP are adding more channel pairs to help with increased channel loading. I wonder if they plan on inviting more users to join the system at the city and county levels? Likewise, I look for some real changes to start taking place once the Rebanding process starts.

73's

Ron

Thanks for all your hard work.

mustang108

Premium Subscriber
I was advised that soon Crawford Co Sheriff and Ft Scott PD will soon be on the new digital KSIS system....with more departments hopping on as time go by...
mustang108

compubandit

Uhf/vhf

Hey Thunderbolt.... or anyone else who might know...

I heard the radio service talking on Event 1 today testing radio systems. They were talking about if they could hear on the VHF and then the UHF band. It must have been a simulcast type thing because I could hear them each time they checked each system on my digital scanner.

I am curious which VHF frequencies they might be testing this with... I am assuming that the UHF would be the 800 side. But we all know what kind of trouble ASS-U-ME comes with.

Thunderbolt

This would depend upon where the system was located at they were crosspatching to? Down-the-road, if any department wanted to establish a subsystem that was on VHF or UHF, they could infact become part of the KSIS TRS.

For instance, let's say a military base wants to take a 380 or 406 MHz, P-25 TRS, and connect it with the main KSIS 800 MHz system. They could have some or all of the talkgroups that are available on the KSIS TRS, but the users would be completely limited to the range of their UHF TRS. This could apply to any city or county that would want to erect a VHF, P-25 TRS and do the same thing. However, IMHO, it would be much better to purchase 700/800 MHz radios and have full statewide coverage.

In addition, conventional VHF, UHF, and 800 MHz channels can be hard-patched to certain talkgroups, for cross-band operation. This has been common in other states, especially on established mutual aid channels. Likewise, the same can be done on trunked radio systems from vendors other than Motorola.

73's

Ron

KAA951

Premium Subscriber
The system is supposed to have a cross band UHF, VHF-High, VHF-Low and 800 conventional cross band system at each site controlled by the KHP dispatcher in Salina. I know they have been working on it but wasn't sure how it will turn out. Supposedly it will be set up by KDOT so the dispatcher will be able to select any of the local agencies primary channels and tones within range of a tower site when needed for crossband operations.

Say your local PD running on UHF is chasing a suspect in a stolen car into the next county- The KHP dispatcher could crosspatch the local PD, the neighboring county sheriff VHF-High channel and the KSIS digital trunked system for KHP together for the event... At least that is how it is supposed to work- we'll see.

NBW791

KHP Troop A was told they will be on digital trunk in the VERY near future, most likely by the end of the year.

-Nick-

compubandit

Hey Ron,

Any heads up on why the sites were changed? I am assuming something to do with FCC and what the State finally decided they wanted?

Thanks!

Thunderbolt

compubandit said:
Hey Ron,

Any heads up on why the sites were changed? I am assuming something to do with FCC and what the State finally decided they wanted?

Thanks!

The State decided to play "frequency shuffleboard" with all the currently licensed sites, and move some frequencies around. Apparently, this was done to avoid interference with other sites. What you see is the end result of their recent changes, and a few new sites were issued licenses from the FCC.

73's

Ron

mancow

Database Admin
I think I just heard an accidental encrypted transmission. It was 121 calling dispatch on talkgroup 361. It was an extended transmission (5 seconds or so) not just a quick blip. It could have been a bad signal but it didn't have that type of sound where you can tell the system is trying to recover some portion of the data. It was an even stream of random noises like an encrypted transmission.

Dispatch didn't understand and he quickly tried again. The second time the signal was perfectly clear.

I wonder if they have outfitted some with encryption?

compubandit

I have talked with both KHP and Neosho Memorial EMS staff and they advise that they have encryption available but have not started using it. I haven't heard any encryption down here in SE Kansas yet.

Thunderbolt

Here is a KSIS update directly from KDOT. :)

73's

Ron

Attachments

• KDOT.pdf
    68.2 KB · Views: 241
Last edited:

compubandit

Attn: Thunderbolt

Ron,

Went to Wichita today and took the 996 and Pro 2096. I was not able to pick up the Wichita, El Dorado, Dexter, or Mayfield towers. I would assume then that they are not up and running yet. I should be through Hutch within the next month to see if it is digital or possibly running conventional like had been mentioned before on here. At any rate, here is the info on the Severy Tower... I was wondering which tower would end with the number one. Mystery solved. Also noticed some changes going on at the FCC website AGAIN... when will it end?

Last edited:

Thunderbolt

compubandit said:
Ron,

Went to Wichita today and took the 996 and Pro 2096. I was not able to pick up the Wichita, El Dorado, Dexter, or Mayfield towers. I would assume then that they are not up and running yet. I should be through Hutch within the next month to see if it is digital or possibly running conventional like had been mentioned before on here. At any rate, here is the info on the Severy Tower... I was wondering which tower would end with the number one. Mystery solved. Also noticed some changes going on at the FCC website AGAIN... when will it end?

Thanks Rich! The Wichita, El Dorado, Dexter, and Mayfield towers are currently pending before the FCC for final approval. Once the license is received, they should be on the air sometime afterwards.

Ironically, once rebanding starts late this fall in Kansas, the KSIS TRS, will be undergoing more frequency changes at each tower site yet again. This will mean that all frequencies in the 866-868.9875 MHz region will shift down 15 MHz. As this happens, look for more frequency changes to each tower site across the state, especially now that new radio equipment is on order from Motorola.

73's

Ron

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.