KSISC simple question

Status
Not open for further replies.

fredg

Premium Subscriber
OK.... so I have avoided getting on board with the digital stuff but have been doing a little checking around. I am in Council Grove and within range of the Dwight tower. I am able to pick up the digital noise on the control channel, 851.55000c.

So I guess my question is if I get a digital scanner how much will I hear? Are the towers linked so if you can access one you can hear them all, kind of like the KLINK ham radio system here in KS?

Or will I just hear what I would guess is very little traffic on this tower?

Thanks for any help!

KAA951

Premium Subscriber
Fredq- the answer is that (since that is a stand alone site in a wide area trunking system) you would only hear radio traffic on the Dwight tower if/when a mobile or portable radio is affiliated with it and they either transmit or radio traffic is transmitted from someone else on the talk group their radio is set on.

In example- If a Trooper was working along K177 near Alta Vista you would hear their radio traffic on C-KHP-3 and any other radio traffic that is transmitted on C-KHP-3 by dispatch or other cars-even if those cars are affiliated with different towers. However, the minute that Trooper roams into range of another tower- let's say he works east on K4 near the Eskridge tower, and no more troopers are in range of Dwight- then all the C-KHP-3 traffic would stop on the Dwight tower.

You won't know until you try- You may be surprised how much traffic that tower pulls in from the north along the I-70 corridor between Junction City. Or you may discover there is little traffic on it. Have you tried any of the other tower sites around you? If you can scan a few more of them you may have better luck.

Last edited:

fredg

Premium Subscriber
Yeah that's what I thought. It's the only tower I can receive. Maybe with a 800MHz Yagi I might be able to bring in another nearby one.

I did punch in the other 800MHz frequencies...

2 (2) 013 (D) Dwight Morris 851.27500 851.55000c 852.33750 853.17500 853.35000 853.61250

and locked out the control channel then listened for a bit... there was some activity on the other frequencies (digital noise on my analog scanner) so I could listen for awhile and get an idea of how much activity hits this tower.

Is what I described correct? If I hear noise off and on the other frequencies that would indicate traffic right?

Thanks for the reply!!

joeuser

The Wretched
I guess, as always the better you antenna the more you will receive. If u r skeptical about laying out the $ for a new rig - you could try SDR using Unitrunker software & DSD+ I use my SDR setup to listen to my " home " tower & I get all the traffic I need & then some. When KHP Troops that are not in my home area have to float closer to my area they pull all their traffic with them. This is exciting for me as I set & work all the new contacts. SDR is ~100$ to get going vs. 500+ for a new rig. I do both as they both fill niches. Suffices to say, I'm not " supposed " to get quite a few tower but between my setup, antenna, weather conditions, & topography I get quite a bit more than I should. HTH!

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 928 - Windows Phone 8.1 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.