KSP Discussion Thread

N4DXX

I have noticed in the past week or so the ksp simulecast system in my erea the machinegun sound we all hear at times has drastically changed from the way it used to sound anyone else noticed this...instead of the loud annoying sound now all i get is a soft blurrrr sound not nearly as loud as it used to be..what is this could a software update change it that much ..i know this is kinda silly question but it's not nearly as annoying and it seems my scanner decodes the p25 better..996t

kg4pbd

Can anyone tell me which post covers Jessamine County? It looks like it's either Post 7 Richmond or Post 12.

While I'm asking, I've listened to KSP from the Lexington area before but I've never been able to get a clear understanding of what post/dispatch frequency covers which area. I can monitor multiple dispatch frequencies however I'm never sure which is for where.

Typically in the past I create a system with Posts 7, 11, and 12. Post 11 to cover me coming up I75 from TN and posts 7 & 12 to listen while in the Fayette & Jessamine County areas.

If anyone can help me I'd appreciate it, we'll be heading back up there next week.

Thanks in advance,

Thunderbolt

Global Database Administrator
Currently, I am hearing the KSP on 460.2375 MHz, in P25 mode loud and clear here in Michigan. Maybe someone can help locate, which Post I am hearing?

The patrol unit is out on Chloe Road by Walters Road, looking for a subject at a house. They said that the Sheriff had checked the girlfriend's house on Summit Drive, but her car was not at home. Any clue as to where this might be at in the Bluegrass State?

73's

Ron

mastr

KSP units usually "name" the post when they call, i.e. "123 to Frankfort" , and Post calls units the same way, "Frankfort (pause)123" or "Frankfort to 123". Listen for a moment longer.

jerk

Thunderbolt said:
Currently, I am hearing the KSP on 460.2375 MHz, in P25 mode loud and clear here in Michigan. Maybe someone can help locate, which Post I am hearing?

The patrol unit is out on Chloe Road by Walters Road, looking for a subject at a house. They said that the Sheriff had checked the girlfriend's house on Summit Drive, but her car was not at home. Any clue as to where this might be at in the Bluegrass State?

73's

Ron

Campbellsville, KY 42718 is my guess according to Microsoft Streets, could also be Pikeville KY
But the last two come back to Campbellsville Area.

AL

kg4pbd

Google is my friend, and I had already looked at the map on the database before I posted.

Posts 7 appears to cover Jessamine while Post 12 appears to cover Fayette. There are Fayette TX sites for both posts. If I'm just down the road from Lexington off Harrodsburg Road what would be the appropriate dispatch frequency.

Maybe it's as simple as finding the loudest one. I don't know b/c I don't live there.

Perhaps someone who is in that area can help

Thunderbolt

Global Database Administrator
The units working this detail switched to a Tac channel. However, the same dispatcher identified as "Pikeville" when one of the units had a traffic stop on US-23 at Lake or Lank? Branch Road. Moreover, this radio traffic also coincides with some action I was hearing on 460.0125 MHz, where the Letcher County Sheriff was looking for the same suspect in their county.

73's

Ron

unitcharlie

a Kentucky DB Admin...
Premium Subscriber
Which scanner do you use? I can send you a .txt or p-96 program that will get you from the TN border to Lexington/Fayette County area.... pm me an email address. The tx sites/freqs for KSP can be a little confusing but they are arranged for the best coverage with the least amount of equipment.... KSP isn't really active in Fayette County but tere is some good monitoring.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
This is a difficult question to answer. KSP's system is a simulcast system. To effect that, there are several different transmitters within a given post area. For example, Post 4 has more than 4 different transmitter sites within its post area. Whenever there is a conversation, every transmitter is transmitting that conversation. To keep the reception intelligible, each of those more than 4 transmitters is on a different frequency (owing to where your radio is, you could hear the same conversation on more than one frequency.

The radios in the trooper's cars selection the frequency it hears best (sorta like a voter in a repeater system), and then locks in on that channel.

The bottom line is that 460.2375 is used by more than one post. In addition to that frequency being used by Pikeville, it is also used by Columbia (which serves Campbellsville) and Frankfort (and possibly some in western KY).

That's the long winded explanation of why you have to listen for the name of the post, to determine which you are hearing.

Making this kinda weird is that Letcher County is in the Hazard post area, and they use a different group of frequencies than does the Pikeville post.

dkpierce

A google map search of the roads you mentioned showd a Chloe Road and a Walters road turining off Chloe in Pikeville. Also close by Chloe was a Summit Drive too.

Campbellsville has a Summit Drive and Taylor County has a Walters road but I know of no Chloe Road here.

unitcharlie

a Kentucky DB Admin...
Premium Subscriber
That was KSP Pikeville.... Been a few years, but if memory serves me there is a Lanks Branch Road south of Pikeville along South Mayo Trail (U.S. 23/119, et al).... U.S. 23 runs right into Letcher County so it would be quite possible that Letcher County Sheriff's deputies were looking for the same folks and the Troopers from Post 9 could have crossed right over the line to give chase with their fellow Troopers from KSP Hazard....

My first visualization of Daphnis et Chloé (Maurice Ravel) was watching the Kudzu grow along Chloe Creek Road in Pikeville, started on the south side but the coal trucks kept it killed back because it couldn't grow across the road.... but the tendril found a utility pole crossing to the northside at the Bell Telephone Switching station and grew up the pole and along the guy wire to the northside... the invasion was then complete. That was about a hundred years or so ago....

Pikeville's very modern Fire Training Center is there now, at the mouth of Chloe Creek.... things have changed in a quarter century or so... but the memories are there.... Pikeville firefighters were "paged" using the City siren over the old Police/Fire Station on Division Street... and those lucky enough to have old HTs (that was my first "scanner") would change to the fire channel and find out what was happening....

Thanx for the memories Thunderbolt!

mastr

KSP uses a multicast system, not simulcast. As used in the land mobile environment, simulcast designates two or more transmitters operating on the same (exact) frequency. From the above information, the TX in question was the KSP "Pike County" location.