KSP garbled

Status
Not open for further replies.

whitty

Premium Subscriber
I received my Whistler 1088 yesterday. Updated everything with the EZ Scan software and was up and running within no time considering this is my first digital scanner. My question is that some of the transmissions from the London SP post are clear with no problem understanding. But some sound like space aliens, is there any adjustments to make it more clear. I really get a strong signal, no static just garbled. Thanks in advance.

ColonelMike

Premium Subscriber
Not sure about your specific location but I would watch your display to see which repeater it is receiving. I found that my KSP repeater in Bullitt is clear as can be but sometimes during scan it may stop on the Louisville repeater for the same channel and I get garbled transmissions. I would find the tower closest to you and lock the others out. May or may not be your problem too.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
As often is the case, you may get some opposing views, here.

At least in the beginning, I'd be tempted to program all of the frequencies for the London post, realizing that I won't get them all. That would allow me to determine, for those that I do, which "seem" to be better. Once I find out which is best, I'd either lockout or delete, the others.

It's possible that while the Wayne County site is in your county, a mountain can be between you and the tower. Unlike analog, when you are at the very edge of a digital signal you'll get "choppy" audio instead of very scratchy audio.

Also it's possible the Wayne County transmitter could be having "issues". Every so often, perhaps a time or two each year, the Louisville transmitter doesn't seem to work.

whitty

Premium Subscriber
I did program them all and sometimes they all sound that,then I locked out the farthest away. At times you can understand plain as day. The signal is good,no noise or hiss just kind of like it scrambled at times.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I'm unfamiliar with your model scanner. I know the Uniden scanners have ways of tweaking the P25 digital settings. You might check to see if yours has similar options and if so, try tinkering with them.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Another couple of thoughts. If a trooper is out of his/her unit, they use a portable radio which goes back to a vehicular repeater, then on to the tower. If the trooper is far away, the sound could get funky.

Also if there is a scene where multiple units are present, they have to be pretty careful about which vehicular repeaters are in operation. I've heard this happen many times - I wouldn't use the word "garbled", rather its more broken. But whatever word is appropriate, it is hard to understand

whitty

Premium Subscriber
You're right garbled is not the right description, but not broken. You can hear the whole transmission from dispatch and trooper, it just sounds like aliens in a movie talking.

whitty

Premium Subscriber
Got everything straightened out.Moved my outdoor antenna and did a little tuning on the threshold setting, I am receiving the London post clear as can be.

Status
Not open for further replies.