KSP machine gunning sound question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Montym

Beaver Dam, KY for last 5 years and Henderson Ky f
From time to time when a KSP unit transmits I'll hear nothing but a 30 second machine gunning sound. Just recently while monitoring on 2 different scanners I noticed that one of them was receiving the transmission fine while the other was receiving the machine gunning sound and the sounds change as they talk or unkey. The sound continues until the repeater unkeys.

My question is, what's causing this? Is it a tuning issue with the scanner? Both scanners do this randomly so it's not just one scanner.

Scanners are Radio Shack pro-2096.

Outside antenna on one and inside antenna on the other and this happens on distant and close towers.

Any thoughts?

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
That describes what you will hear when receiving a TDMA signal (such as DMR) on an analog scanner/receiver.

KD4YGG

Database Admin
Sounds like you don't have the NAC programmed correctly (or at all).

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Correct me but the PRO96 and PRO2096 do not use NACS
Correct, the 96 and 2096 were the first true P25 scanners, and NAC decoding had not been created yet. They were awesome for the technology of that time, but now are truly showing their age.

Montym

Beaver Dam, KY for last 5 years and Henderson Ky f
So is there a fix? are they not tuned close enough to decode?
The reception/ decode works most of the time fine but sometimes it starts doing it for no reason.
I can hit the scan button and it will come back around and be silent without the garble.

Thanks folks

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Kind of sounds like you might be right at the fringe of the coverage area. Have you programmed all the frequencies for the post you are listening to? Sometimes one transmitter comes in better than another.

JD21960

Premium Subscriber
@ Montym - My OLD Pro96 does this. It's very irritating although it doesn't last 30 seconds on mine. it's 5 or 7 seconds at most but it's a loud baaaaaat. It sounds like something didn't make the repeater or was strong enough and we heard the failure part of it. It NEVER did this pre-800Mhz rebanding days. It gradually started in the last 4 or 5 years. I'm not on any "fringe" areas and this happens even in the heart of the strong SITE signals. As systems have progressed since 2004, these older Scanners weren't designed to progress with them. My Whistler *when it does receive* doesn't do this. It's just the way the Pro96-2096 were made way back then and handle such digital messes now.

dwh367

@ Montym

1.) Make sure you have a strong signal on the S-Meter
2.) Check your firmware version. 1.2 always worked best for me. Newer is not always better.
3.) Try another repeater near you in your post area.
4.) You may have to take it to a radio shop for alignment see here

Hopefully one of these suggestions will be of use.

Status
Not open for further replies.